IMR4227

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: IMR4227

Post by GasGuzzler »

I think I might have some 4227 but after reading this topic I have no idea who might have made it or what the letters are on the can....if it's in there.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:I think I might have some 4227 but after reading this topic I have no idea who might have made it or what the letters are on the can....if it's in there.

Right, wrong or if different, what I would (and) do is if the IMR4227 says it's made in Canada I would use IMR 4227 data, if it says made in Australia I would use H4227 data.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:Right, wrong or if different, what I would (and) do is if the IMR4227 says it's made in Canada I would use IMR 4227 data, if it says made in Australia I would use H4227 data.
I think that is great advice horseman!
Michael
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Kaiser »

I've used 18.5 and 19.0 gr in a .45 LC case in a 1873 Uberti Short Rifle that delivered pretty good accuracy, but found other alternatives I liked better.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I think that what most of us have found (x or xxx)4227 works okay but other powders work better.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I think that what most of us have found (x or xxx)4227 works okay but other powders work better.

Make smoke,

That would depend on who "most of us" are and what they think "better" is......you will have to look pretty hard to find a "better" load for the 45 Colt than 20gr. of H4227 under a 250-260gr cast bullet. That is a classic load and for a reason. That may be a good thread to start. What makes a powder "better" than another?? My first response would be accuracy but others may think differently. Hmmm, interesting question, might have to ponder that a bit... :geek:
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

horseman wrote:
Ohio3Wheels wrote:I think that what most of us have found (x or xxx)4227 works okay but other powders work better.

Make smoke,
T

That would depend on who "most of us" are and what they think "better" is......you will have to look pretty hard to find a "better" load for the 45 Colt than 20gr. of H4227 under a 250-260gr cast bullet. That is a classic load and for a reason. That may be a good thread to start. What makes a powder "better" than another?? My first response would be accuracy but others may think differently. Hmmm, interesting question, might have to ponder that a bit... :geek:
The question is interesting and the answer is it depends on application IMHO. In a world choked with superlatives reflected in the names applied to commercial cartridges bigger, faster, more powerful and accurate are goals on to themselves. Determine the overall performance desired and build around those requirements. For example, in a revolver I am looking for low recoil that provides consistent accuracy for the size of target I use. I am not hunting, nor defending the homestead or bullseye shooting so I have spent time developing loads with these two primary factors in mind. Secondary considerations are economy, clean burning, availability, powder measure consistency and application in other calibres. The same applies to rifles. I have two loads for almost every rifle I own. One is a hunting load and the other a target. For several rifles I have developed plinking loads for purely fun shooting. What makes handloading so enjoyable for me is trying different things to better reach the desired result. While just about every load has some compromises, that doesn't stop me from tinkering to weed them out. Have a plinking load that leaves the cases dirty because they are not sealing well due to low pressure? Look for a faster powder that gives identical results but with higher peak pressure. If the powder gives you, the shooter what you want, then it is the best powder for you.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

This is a old thread but a newer one reminded me about it. Earlier this summer I was using up some 55 grain cheap jacketed bullets in my .223 bolt rifle. I hit upon a 55 grain lead load using IMR4227 and decided to give it a try for the jacketed. I wasn't trying to develop a load, just do some plinking. I only chronographed a couple as I had already set mine up for checking IPSC power factors later in the day. I recall I was getting around 2200 FPS but the accuracy was a not very good with erratic POI's. I think the velocity was too slow for the 1 in 9 twist barrel. A 1 in 7 would probably do the trick. I can't remember how much room I had left in the case but this was a mild, low pressure load. Getting the velocity up to 2800 might be possible but I am not planning on pursuing the matter any further at this time. I may do some Quickload work next time I am using the program. Thought I would report the results if anyone is interested.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

This 4227 and 223 rem question started itching this afternoon so I made up a 20 round batch from 16.5 to 18.0 grains. I am using win brass and the same 55 grain Hornady SP (#2266B) I used previously. Now if the bloody weather ever cooperates I may get a chance to try them and even get some other load development work finished. I must have a dozen still waiting to be shot over the chrony. My son is visiting from Ontario so I might get him to help if I can pry him away from his girlfriend ;)

Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Got to range today. Cool 15 Celsius but no wind and overcast. I think I have found a great plinking load for my 223.
IMR4227, Win Brass 2x Fired and Neck Sized, CCI 400 primers, Hornady 55 Grain SP (#2266b), OAL 2.255
Savage 22" medium contour barrel XP10, Caldwell Lead Sled Rest.

16.5 Avg 2.617 FPS SD 16.27
July 17 223 IMR4227 16.5 Grns.jpg
17.0 Avg 2,698 FPS SD 6.87
July 17 223 IMR4227 17 Grns.jpg
17.5 Avg 2,765 SD 7.12
July 17 223 IMR4227 17.5 Grns.jpg
18.0 Avg 2,834 SD 14.61
July17 223 IMR4227 18 Grns.jpg
All fired at 50 meters Grid is 1 inch squares. Note in the second picture I have marked a .308 flyer. I will be posting on my .308 load test later. Also the Coroplast backing on the range stands was in pretty bad shape which always leads to ratty looking holes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”