Reloading Gremlins Strike

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Reloading Gremlins Strike

Post by Macd »

Not really gremlins but my worst day at the bench. :cry: Started with my very first stuck case. I was using an 8mm sizing die. Lots of telephone interruptions and I must have not lubed that case. I had 19 others done when the last one stuck. Tore off rim. Don't believe the Lee advice to tap it out by loosening the decapping rod. All it did was peen over the end of the rod. I don't have a stuck case kit so I improvised with a 1/4-20 bolt, a half inch deep socket, a washer and a nut. Drilled and tapped the primer pocket (broke decapping pin which I couldn't get out through top of die) It worked great except for the broken pin. Then I was down one 8mm case so I got a 270 Win case out for forming. With no decapping pin I put it into the Hornady universal decapping die and the pin broke off in the die. I had a spare pin but had to straighten the decapping rod which appears to be made from really soft steel. Back to the 8mm die and the oversize decapping rod I had made was too much for the 270 case neck. Thankfully the rod popped up through the die and the case came out without problem. Had to put the original rod back in, form the case, cut the neck back, clean up the cut, finish forming the case and then switch out to the larger diameter rod and finish forming the neck and then finally trim to length.
Last edited by Macd on 18 Apr 2018 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Reloading Gremilins Strike

Post by GasGuzzler »

I've used a commercial bolt and an appropriately sized socket more than once.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Reloading Gremilins Strike

Post by Ranch Dog »

That is a tough day Macd! Glad you "stuck" with it and got it done!
Michael
Bagarocks
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Reloading Gremlins Strike

Post by Bagarocks »

Well I've got the same dies for 8mm havent used them yet. Remember lube lube lube...
Distractions at the reloading Bench can be frustrating at the least and deadly and dangerous at the worst.

Always finish your cycle or process before stopping. Let the distraction wait

Return to “Rifle Reloading”