loading 35 Remington with pistol bullets?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: loading 35 Remington with pistol bullets?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice, I owned one many moons ago!
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Guys,

I took the day off from work (only 6 more days until summer vacation!!!) for an MRI, and now I have the remainder of the day to myself. (the MRI was for my orthopedic doctor so he could figure out what the heck I damaged in a bad fall recently - might be a bicep tear, we'll find out!)

Anyways, I plan on heading out to my favorite LGS to buy some CCI primers and another can of powder. Here's my question of the day -

I'm not only loading pistol bullets in my .35 Rem, but of course plan on loading jacketed/cast regular old rifle profile bullets as well.

I'm new at this - only been doing .38/.357 with Win 231 for my Ruger SS and Taurus 85 and Rossi 92. For my .35 Rem, .300 Savage, .32 Rem, .30 Rem rifles will Varget or H322 do equally well?

Ideally, I'd like to use a powder that readily lends itself to the Lee Hand Loader dippers, since I am in the "one at a time newbie reloader" club.

Michael aka Ranch Dog suggested either Varget or H322 IIRC - so anyway, I'll check my emails to see if anyone chimes in before I am at the gun shop later.

thanks everyone!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Adam, either of those would work as long as they match up with your dippers. I've used both over time. As I mentioned elsewhere in working up loads for the 7.62x54R with jacked bullets I compared Varget and H4895 and out at 100 yards with factory sights H4895 was the decided winner. That may be me and my guns and my eyes, but further work with the Commie carbine will be with the H4895, plus I keep it on hand for loading 30-06 for the M1.

Hope the arm heals fast.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Guess what I got - H335 after all. That's all that was available in rifle powder that interested me. Hey, I can always buy more at the gun show!

Shoulder is fun. No more pain meds - yay!

I'm being sarcastic. Doctor will have to authorize, next time I see him.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Everyone needs H335.

Get well soon.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

My best powders in the 22 inch barrel Rem760 are IMR3031 and IMR4320 in that order with a 204 grain, hard cast, checked, flat nose bullet. IMR3031 gives an average velocity of 2122 fps with an SD of 24 over several five shot groups at 36 grains. This is 1.5 grains below the maximum in the charge tables but still getting maximum level velocities with the lower charge. This bullet touch the lands and I believe this accounts for most of the higher velocity. Accuracy is 2.0 to 3.5 MOA. The 35Rem is a short range hunting proposition and I was looking for best terminal performance as opposed to trying to getting the most accurate load. IMR 4320 gives a slightly better accuracy with an SD of 6.75 for a 38 grain charge (max is 38.5) but at the expense of 80 fps and 140 ft pds of muzzle energy.

Terminal performance in moose is very satisfactory, Penetration and wound channel are as good or better than jacketed. I haven't weighed any recovered bullets but they seem to hold together well.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Adam, found this on the Load Data site. It's the only actual pistol bullet data that I've found publish at a source I use. Hopefully I can attach a pdf to this.
35Rem-HornHandgunBullets.pdf
Seems to have worked. Hodgdon does list H335 in the 35Rem with 180 grain and heavier bullets. In the past I used a lot of it in smaller cases.

Make smoke,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... rtridge=96

First load in above link is with the Speer pistol bullet. My Lee 2nd Edition has a listing for a 158 grain lead bullet also using Reloder 7

Return to “Rifle Reloading”