Hang Fires with S&B Large Rifle Primers??

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Hang Fires with S&B Large Rifle Primers??

Post by GasGuzzler »

No HFs here. Squibs yes.

I've used every kind known.

I just bought a boat load of SBs so let's hope they're OK.

My Blackhawk double clicks but doesn't hang fire and it has no stock parts. It has a transfer bar too though.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I had to buy a couple thousand S&B large pistol primers 4-5 years ago during the "shortage". It took a while but I finally got rid of them about the time the Win primers finally got back on the shelf. The S&B's did go "bang", at least 99.5% of the time, but they seemed to be somewhat inconsistent. As long as possible, I'll stick to the more dependable Win primers, or the CCI's. Even if it's four to five bucks per thousand more for the good stuff, I'd rather produce more predictable ammo.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I was thinking about S&B primers, which I have not used, but I have worked with S&B brass and had trouble with their primer pockets which might be a relative experience concerning their primer dimensions. I bought 2,000 once fired 7.62x39 cases a couple of years ago that was supposed to be all US headstamped. I ended up with about 20 to 30 S&B cases. What I found was that the large pocket primer was not the same dimension as a US primer pocket. I had a %@*&$ of a time reaming and uniforming the pocket. With the appropriate tools, I checked to see if it was a small rifle pocket, but it was way too loose for that. I hated to toss them, but I did because I wasn't reaming & uniforming but cutting a new pocket. It might be that those S&Bs are fitting a tad loose and were most primers in a loose pocket would slide forward and ignite, the S&B might have a lighter strike off and are igniting as they slide forward.

Here is the SAAMI Spec for primers & pockets.
Primer Rifle Spec.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I paid $19.95 per 1K free shipping no hazmat.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

Update. I talked to the "Loadmaster" at Cabela's and discussed my issues with the primers. The bottom line is, he has not had issues with the S&B primers but said it was entirely possible there was an issue. He also said they are a harder primer than some brands. We discussed the fact that my firing pin spring could be weak and not hitting the hard primer with as much force as it wants. I bought Hybrid 100V powder and Winchester large rifle primers. He said the Winchester primers I bought were softer and would be better if the spring is weak. Once they are loaded and tested I will report back. It sounds like I am headed in the right direction.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

Once I started using the Winchester primers I never got another hang fire in the 303 British. I used the S&B primers in my 7.62X54R loads and never had a problem, so I think they may be a little harder than the Winchester primes just like the "load master" said. I will load them in my new batches of Russian ammo too.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”