7.62x39 Handloading

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 7.62x39 Handloading

Post by GRV01 »

Ranch Dog wrote: Sorry GRV01, none of the MBC offerings get my attention and none of them are specifically for the 7.62x39.
Sorry that post was more for my education than anything, what i was asking i guess was could that .313 bullet 'work' in an AK or SKS in handloaded 762x39 say for plinking or range practice sizewise. It is my understanding that there might be some leading, despite being powder coated, at the pressures you listed

I guess what im trying to do is find the cheapest possible bullet that one can buy for this caliber. Mind you, its just a thought experiment for me personally as i dont yet but would like for wifey and i to own a Mini30 and SKS respectively

Thanks again
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I understand, but without MBC providing a bullet drawing I could not venture a guess as the body diameter is only about 10% of the fit. The best answer would probably be to contact them.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:I would not consider a bullet unless it is gas checked. If it is a semi-auto, it's going to depend on pressure to cycle the action. My TLC313-150-RF for my Mini-30 is cast with 60/40 wheel weights/linotype and water quenched for 21 BHN. My 26.6-grain load generates about 40.4K PSI.
What powder? I'm finally switching gears back to 7.62X39 today and will be using the 312-155-2R that weighs in at 160 when checked and lubed instead of the jacketed bullets I had planned on using.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, that is missing. My load uses H322.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't think I have that. Anybody got a second choice?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I don't think I have that. Anybody got a second choice?
Might be easier to post what you have available.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

EDIT (to remove list)

For use in an AK one of these may be better or maybe not. I'll try the H322 if you think it's best.
Last edited by GasGuzzler on 10 Jul 2018 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That's funny. Yeah, H322 has worked the best for me. Do you have a cartridge overall length you are going to use? What about your alloy, what have they been cast with and are they water quenched? Any idea on the BHN?

With the above, I can give you some loads via QuickLoad.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I am only looking for 1800-2000 FPS....enough to cycle the AK and have minute of watermelon accuracy to 100 yards. I probably won't shoot much farther than 50 yards most of the time and I'd like to hit a grapefruit 7 out of ten times from that distance. The alloy is mostly clip on wheel weights with a very very small percentage of lead/tin solder added and a very very small amount of range scrap added (both adds are in the less than 1% range for sure). There's no more than 3-5% stick on weights. I don't know the BHN. They are checked with Sage's copper checks and lubed with my homemade lube. Fully dressed they weight 160-161 grains. Hodgdon says 2.220" OAL so I guess I'll use that. My AK is Eastern block (Serbian) but it's not battle worn so I hope the bullet won't need seated waaay out. I will compare my bullets to the brass and see how things will line up. Seems like 25.5-26.5 grains of H322 should be close.

Looks like H4198 could make more FPS with less pressure according to Hodgdon BUT their test barrel was 24". The AK is 16".
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I guess I'll have to pull the FCD off the turret so I'll have room for the universal flare die to be able to get cast bullets to fit.....but some measuring is needed. I have the Auto-Drum preset at 26.1.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”