What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

45/70 plinking loads, 405gr Acme cast 13 gr Unique, twice fired StarLine cases, WW standard large rifle.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

Finally got done today with the 30-30 loads I started yesterday. TrueShot 170 gr GC bullets with 14.0 gr of AA#7. I've laddered them up to as far as 14.7 gr and gotten a bit more velocity, but a very noticeable drop in accuracy. Even the 14.2 gr loads don't really show any improvement over the 14.0 gr loads. I'm satisfied with getting .5 inch groups at 50 yards and 1635 fps out of the 14.0 gr loads. If I'd had the same know how and same stuff 50 years ago that I have now …..

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Ran some 223 .
PMC 1x
DuPont 4198
Sierra 55 SP flat base 1972 seconds

I sorted and prepped about 1500 cases 2-3 yr ago and been loading about a 1/2 lb of powder at a time for the last 1-1/2 yr or so , I think a couple of hundred at a time . Finished up a brass lot with that batch.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

You still have Dupont 4198?
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

An old still sealed can my Dad had stashed away . I've decided to use his old stock up before I dip into the 5-10 yr old stuff on hand I've been buying . Good news though I also have data for the old stuff .
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

My daughter in law's father uses a Winchester model 70 in Win. 308 for moose hunting. Given its 1-10 twist rate I had loaded him up some 190 grain Hornady SPBT Interlocks a few years back and he really liked them but alas like so many older designs they have been discontinued. I decided to try some 168 grain Barnes TSXBT. They have good reports on penetration, expansion and weight retention. The only issue is they need to be traveling above 2000 fps or they reportedly risk penciling with little expansion. The maximum distance he is ever likely to shoot is 300 yards. I have experimented a bit with them and found an accurate load of 45.0 grains of CFE223 giving about 2750 FPS out of a 22" barrel. Federal LR primer and RP brass. I added a good solid crimp with a FCD. A fast load but still 3.5 grains under maximum as given on the Barnes site. At 300 yards they should still be travelling at just over 2000 FPS with a 8-9" drop.
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Kaiser »

Picked up a Revelation/Savage 110 in a .308Win with a 22" BBL because it was at a great price and I no longer owned a .308Win, but had lots of .30 cal bullets to load. It is not a collector's rifle, and has a Parkerized finish, Beech stock, and missing the two screw rear sight (anyone have a spare they'd sell?). I had some 150gr loaded rounds and went out back and fired off a few rounds to sight the 3X Leupold I mounted - I was amazed at the lack of recoil and how pleasant it was to handle (7.5 pounds, unloaded). I can't wait to try it out at the local range! I'll probably glass bed the stock and work up some loads for this Fall. I found some reading material on the model and discovered the action was neither a long or short action, but was made around the '80's (I think) they used a "Medium" length action of 3.25", which will allow me to use the longer SST and Berger bullets to good advantage. Anyone have any experience with this model?
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Williams makes a drop in duplicate . It's probably the same sight . $40ish I think . I'm sure there's an FP for it .
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

RBHarter wrote:Williams makes a drop in duplicate . It's probably the same sight . $40ish I think . I'm sure there's an FP for it .
Yup, Williams or Numrich would be my first 2 choices.
Numrich is back 4 to 6 weeks on shipping, don't know about anyone else??
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

Since I take it in caliber spells, I spent most of August re-loading/shooting the .357 mag (R92) ... then got the itch to play with the newly obtained (test supply) GT Bullet LHP/GC 150gr in the 30-30 for a couple of weeks .... now back to .44 mag for a couple of weeks. Again, limited supply of GT Bullets for the .44 mag - LSWC HP/GC 240 gr. I loaded up a few for a test run last month and was pretty danged impressed with the overeall performance, but didn't have time to get the chrony into the trip. I think I have only 80 of the boolits left from the 100 count test batch, so I'll probably just load up another 50 or so for this little go-round.

Now, trying to consider myself at least "semi-retired", I've been really trying to take advantage of the newly found time. Not sure I could afford full time retirement though.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”