What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

I loaded my first 10 308 Winchester cartridges tonight. 44 grains of Varget, 150 gr FMJ Hornady bulk bullet from Grafs (really like these little boat tails), Winchester LR primer. COL is 2.80 just like the books call for. I think the Hornady book may say to seat it a little deeper from what I read on line. I think the next 10 I may use same powder charge and seat deeper. But I may just keep the COL the same and add .5 grains of powder.I will decide tomorrow if I have time to load a few more. I also need to play with some different loads so I may do 168 grain A-Max bullets tomorrow too. I love reloading.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

JohnnyEnfield wrote:I loaded my first 10 308 Winchester cartridges tonight. 44 grains of Varget, 150 gr FMJ Hornady bulk bullet from Grafs (really like these little boat tails), Winchester LR primer. COL is 2.80 just like the books call for. I think the Hornady book may say to seat it a little deeper from what I read on line. I think the next 10 I may use same powder charge and seat deeper. But I may just keep the COL the same and add .5 grains of powder.I will decide tomorrow if I have time to load a few more. I also need to play with some different loads so I may do 168 grain A-Max bullets tomorrow too. I love reloading.
An OAL gauge is a very useful piece of kit to have. Mine is a Hornady. Well worth the money IMHO. I use it on every bullet and rifle except the levers and autos of course. Those I use the loose case neck - smoked bullet technique. My own experience with the .308 is mixed depending on firearm and action. My 99f wants a decent jump to lands while my bolt gun wants to be just off of them. Unfortunately the magazine dictated otherwise. If I can locate it, I had an article saved on the effect of OAL on pressure, velocity and accuracy. If I haven't lost it, I can send it to you.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

I have done three .308 loads so far. Today's load was the best yet. I need to work some more in the same range. 150 grain Hornady FMJ boat tail, 45 grains of Varget, WInchester brand new brass and WInchester Large Rifle primers. Gave a great group at 100 yards that I think only had 'fliers' due to my shaky bench rest. If I get a picture I will post it. Paper plate at 100 yards is perfect for what I am trying to do. I will double check all the cases and then make up another 10 of those and some .2 higher. I think I am close.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

Yesterday was 10 rounds of .308 Winchester in Remington brass that I cleaned and full length re-sized (once fired in someone elses rifle). 45 grains Varget under the same 150 gr. Hornady FMJ BT bullets. Got a good showing at 100 yards and was able to confirm the scope is just about dialed in. I am going to trickle up a bit in both cases (WInchester and remington) and play around with them and see if they are any different. The loads I have now are pretty good but I think I can close them together so I start getting holes touching or close to it at 100 yards, even with my shaky skills and sloppy bench bags. Loving the rifle and the reloading.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds great and it sounds like you are having fun!
Michael
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Success with the .303Brit. Sorta....
Got My .316-203 Mold couple weeks ago, .318 as cast....
Loaded 10rds Saturday...Got Em ALL ona Paper Plate at 25yds....Used the whole Plate, But improvement....

Anyone know anything about Paper Patching?.... .318 still falls through the Neck of a fired Case... :o
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

They're pistol cartridges but they go in the Rossi '92. I finished up putting ladders together using Mo Bullets 255 grain Keith style. I bought samples of both conventional lubed and High Tech coated. Used True Blue, HS-6 and Titegroup. They're short ladders because none of these powders allow a lot of wiggle room between min and max.

Maybe Friday I'll be able to make the trek to the range.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Trimmed 85 6.5x55 cases with a Lee case gauge and my trusty Ryobi 12 volt drill motor.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Trimmed 85 6.5x55 cases with a Lee case gauge and my trusty Ryobi 12 volt drill motor.
Coincidentally I took out all my 6.5 cases and am going to sort them by length. I have two Swedes and they have significantly different chamber tolerances including the amount of lead-throat. Once sorted the longer cases will be put aside for the rifle with the more generous chamber. They will be kept trimmed long. This separation will also let me neck size each separate group. Currently I FL size to ensure they will chamber in each rifle.

BTW both rifles shoot great but with the same load one produces more velocity for the same length barrel.
GFKIRKLAND

Post by GFKIRKLAND »

Reloading .44 rem Magnum for my Winchester 94AE carbine ahead of Sunday morning range practise.

cheersthenoo! +guns
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”