What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Ranch Dog »

We have a similar topic for handguns so I thought I would start one for rifle reloading![hr]
303_British_SMLE_Woodleigh #68_BLC2.jpg
215-grain Woodleigh #68 with 39.6-grains of BL-C(2) for my SMLE Sporter. They shot very well but my rifles scout mount is dropping them very low. I have some Burris Zee Offsets coming but there is a gunsmith on another forum that is going to mill a scout base for me as well for the correction.

From the 18½" barrel I'm seeing 2120 FPS and you know that you are shooting a "tiger killer".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by RBHarter »

Well not today but "in process", I'm working out a 358 Win with a 228 gr XCB and I've found 2 powders that don't make it all warm and happy . Minutes of 50 yd elk or possibly cow doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy.
Also a 30-30 several things learned the 314 155 Lee does make it all warm and fuzzy with about a half case of 4198 which doesn't make the 358 the least bit happy. What a joy to shoot after full tilt 358s . 1 more step and it should top out and cover 10 with a quarter. At 50 yd anyway that front bead is gigantic.
I need to get the 6.8 loaded, 23.6 gr H322 is as good as the AR is going to get and I have 150 cases prepped and primed and 1# of 279-124 s to check at .280 . Ms will have her all purpose hunter and be ready to impress at the NVGT and NCBS.
The 92' is loaded for hog so nothing to do there beyond loading a pile of light loads for the shoots .
What I really need to do is get the not in process space eaters off the bench ......
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:What I really need to do is get the not in process space eaters off the bench ......
Boy, isn't that the truth!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Well today I did such a weird thing . I put jacketed bullets in a rifle cartridge. ..... that's because I can't get the fresh formed annealed brass to form with Unique in the brand old 257 Roberts. ..... what a pain stupid jackets . Just a handful each of some 197? Serria 87 gr HP and some later pro hunters ....... $12.78 per 100.... yeah I found them in the bottom of some of the disorganization that I got with the house.
Loaded a few more 358 Win to check out another trial pack bullet it's a 220 gr that I thought was and RCBS or Lee 35 (8)-200 .... I shot the XCB from NOE last week, what a romper stomper it was right at my lower limit of this isn't fun anymore. No Chrony for them but they are getting to the burm in a hurry.
Trying out a few RCBS 7mm -168 SIL in the 7x6.8 mildcat Carcano with a max occupancy of 4350 IMR . It didn't like them at first but we made a throat adjustment that fits the moulds on hand better.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Today I loaded a few 223 rounds with 65 gr Sierra SP Gamekings. I bought a Mini-14 last week and I'm trying to see if there is anything that it will put into less than 3.5" at 75 yds. I suspect that it may be up for sale soon.

Also loaded some more Sierra 150 gr SP for the Enfield. I want to see if the excellent results last time was a fluke. If these shoot well I'll load up enough for this summer's deer season.

I also need to finish some projects and clean up my bench. Spring on the farm is here and it's about time to get to work and put away the toys for a few months.

RD - Those big long bullets look great. I may have to break down and buy a box. I'm looking forward to seeing what those do to a big hog.
Deleted User 1418

Post by Deleted User 1418 »

My dies to begin reloading 6.5 Creedmoor arrived today. This weekend, I need to unload some first.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Today I loaded a few 223 rounds with 65 gr Sierra SP Gamekings. I bought a Mini-14 last week and I'm trying to see if there is anything that it will put into less than 3.5" at 75 yds. I suspect that it may be up for sale soon.
Dang, I've been thinking I need to get bad to my Mini-30 just because I haven't shot it in a year. I guess I just have too many rifles.
klr wrote:Also loaded some more Sierra 150 gr SP for the Enfield. I want to see if the excellent results last time was a fluke. If these shoot well I'll load up enough for this summer's deer season.

RD - Those big long bullets look great. I may have to break down and buy a box. I'm looking forward to seeing what those do to a big hog.
I really don't what to buy any more but I guess I will have to. Still cheaper than a mold. As soon as I get that custom scout mount, I will get this puppy sighted in and then I can compare the Speer 174 grain Round Nose against the Woodleigh for group size and do the terminal ballistics to see how they compare. The Woodleigh is twice the cost of the Speer but when I look at all this I really don't see this is a primary rifle that will be shot a lot so the Woodleigh cost is acceptable.

Al at NOE called me and we talked designs and he said to put what I've drawn online and see if we have any takers but I really do not putting a design up without testing it. What I'm thinking about is paying the Lee costs toward his tooling if he will hold it back until I test it. In other works, I pay for the testing to ensure that he doesn't have problems once he commits to production.
klr wrote:I also need to finish some projects and clean up my bench. Spring on the farm is here and it's about time to get to work and put away the toys for a few months.
That is where I've been at for 45 days now. This is my third day in Houston with two more to go which will put me 10 days behind when I get home.
Michael
Coop 45
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Coop 45 »

Loading a 375 Ruger.
300 grain Woodleigh ppsn
78 grain AR2209
image.jpeg
RD, I find it interesting to see you using a SMLE.303 with woodleigh projectiles. As an Australian that's the one rifle missing from my collection (almost an unforgivable crime). The one military rifle I do have in the safe is a 1903A3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Coop 45 wrote:RD, I find it interesting to see you using a SMLE.303 with woodleigh projectiles. As an Australian that's the one rifle missing from my collection (almost an unforgivable crime). The one military rifle I do have in the safe is a 1903A3
We almost have it backwards!

I'm digging the SMLE, I think, I've got an unusual one but with the new mount showing up this week we will see how it shoots.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

With the proliferation of the 303 British cartridge in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom alone, I'm surprised a sporting rifle for the average rifleman was not developed. Basically there are the Lee Enfield variations and the limited numbers of the Ruger #1.

The 375 Ruger looks like it would be brutal to shoot.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Reloading”