What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by RBHarter »

orerancher wrote:Success with the .303Brit. Sorta....
Got My .316-203 Mold couple weeks ago, .318 as cast....
Loaded 10rds Saturday...Got Em ALL ona Paper Plate at 25yds....Used the whole Plate, But improvement....

Anyone know anything about Paper Patching?.... .318 still falls through the Neck of a fired Case... :o
I've done a little paper patched .
It takes generally 2 sizers and a lot of range time .
I'm a lousy written teacher and there is just too much nuance in details to offer at my level of elicution . (SP)

Go over to Castboolits under the forum heading Black Powder paper patching there is or was a sticky about paper selection . It's important to the longevity of your needs . It will fill in a lot of information , it is also best read 3-4 times over several days . It is well written but the amount of information and reasonings is massive ........in an interesting twist after you fondle about 30 sheets of paper from sources ranging from dollar bills to news print to printer and tracing paper of various weights it becomes very simple to see and apply .

There are/were 2 very good threads under smokeless paper patch . What works for me and another , both stickies I think . Again massive amounts of intricate information that becomes very simple once applied . 303 Guy is a very good grease monkey kind of guy to read . There was a guy that was getting 3000 fps with a 180 in a 300 RUM but I think he passed away recently so only his writing remains . I can help if the information doesn't click maybe . I had to patch a 7.62×39 to get any kind of groups with it it had a .305×.3165 barrel and would chamber freely a 325-175 sized .323 .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

RBHarter wrote:
orerancher wrote:Success with the .303Brit. Sorta....
Got My .316-203 Mold couple weeks ago, .318 as cast....
Loaded 10rds Saturday...Got Em ALL ona Paper Plate at 25yds....Used the whole Plate, But improvement....

Anyone know anything about Paper Patching?.... .318 still falls through the Neck of a fired Case... :o
I've done a little paper patched .
It takes generally 2 sizers and a lot of range time .
I'm a lousy written teacher and there is just too much nuance in details to offer at my level of elicution . (SP)

Go over to Castboolits under the forum heading Black Powder paper patching there is or was a sticky about paper selection . It's important to the longevity of your needs . It will fill in a lot of information , it is also best read 3-4 times over several days . It is well written but the amount of information and reasonings is massive ........in an interesting twist after you fondle about 30 sheets of paper from sources ranging from dollar bills to news print to printer and tracing paper of various weights it becomes very simple to see and apply .

There are/were 2 very good threads under smokeless paper patch . What works for me and another , both stickies I think . Again massive amounts of intricate information that becomes very simple once applied . 303 Guy is a very good grease monkey kind of guy to read . There was a guy that was getting 3000 fps with a 180 in a 300 RUM but I think he passed away recently so only his writing remains . I can help if the information doesn't click maybe . I had to patch a 7.62×39 to get any kind of groups with it it had a .305×.3165 barrel and would chamber freely a 325-175 sized .323 .
Thanks for the Info!
I have since, I last posted on that 303, tried Powder coating the Bullet 2x, That really added some size...
and the Rifle shot into 3-3 and a half inch groups at 50yds...Which maybe as good as It's gonna get...
Depending on how consistent dbl PCing is...That barrel might get Reamed to .35...
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Et2ss »

I started load development on a new bullet/powder for my 6.5 Grendel.

130 gr Berger AR Hybrid OTM's and CFE223 powder. The Berger has an SD of .267, with a G1 BC of .584 @ 2500 fps, (G7 of .290). If I can get that velocity with accuracy out of my 20", it should be one heck of a long distance round

Unfortunately it's supposed to be below 0* the rest of the week. Saturday it's back up to 35* and sunny, but I have a basketball game I have to work. Sunday up to 47*, but rainy :cry:

I just can't win with the weather around here
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

off topic, just a tip.....

to make the degree symbol - "°" try holding down the ALT key while typing 2-4-8

I used to know/use a lot of the ascii code symbols, but have gotten to where the degree symbol (obviously work related) is about all I use now. On certain laptop keypads it's different (BTDT), but I have that written down too, somewhere.

Sorry for the interruption .... just had to add a tip on something I knew for certain :)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by Et2ss »

I'd just forget it, and too lazy to look it up for the post. :lol:

The one that sticks (old job related) is the ü (0252)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:off topic, just a tip.....

to make the degree symbol - "°" try holding down the ALT key while typing 2-4-8

I used to know/use a lot of the ascii code symbols, but have gotten to where the degree symbol (obviously work related) is about all I use now. On certain laptop keypads it's different (BTDT), but I have that written down too, somewhere.

Sorry for the interruption .... just had to add a tip on something I knew for certain :)
Or keep the character map handy and have it do it for you. Just bought a new laptop, not a cheap one, and they don't bother with number locks and the numerical keypad anymore.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Put together 50 rounds of 38-55. New Star Line brass, CCI primers, Missouri Bullet 245 grain HyTek coated bullets and Varget in a ladder from 28 grains to 33.5 grain. Now to get some range time.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Just a couple of dummies for a new barrel in 7×57 ....... discovered that my surplus FN 49 Belgian made Argentine brass is Berdan ....... So no point in chasing those any further than dummies . Took a cool endoscope picture of the chambered 120 HP Hornady .
190223_200423.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Full length sized 80 +/- pieces if .30-30 brass with Redding dies (I got the fancy two sizer die set and RD mold from the same guy for a smoking price). They were once fired but not in my rifle. They're in the wet tumbler right now.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Saturday, stared working with a Ruger American 7.62X39 I picked up not long ago.

It really likes the Lee 312-155 and IMR4227!

Return to “Rifle Reloading”