What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by orerancher »

mr surveyor wrote:I loaded a few 30-30 win cast 180's with AA#7 and Unique this afternoon. Really getting attached to shooting cast bullets with pistol powders in the 30-30.

jd

The Lee Soup Can and Red Dot, Can work well in that Case...
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

larryw wrote:Man that really sucks...
Decided since the weather is iffy for the week to take this project down to the indoor range and at least get some measurements. I'm happy to say that the "squashed" bullets ran right along side the 379 diameters. Five shot groups with both average slightly over 2k fps and the SDs were within a tenth.

Had to stop as the Marlin ran into a problem that's going to take some bench time to diagnose. It cycled fine to clear the last shot but when I went to open it to pull a quick wipe through the bolt stops after about an inch. Hopefully something I can fix.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Had to stop as the Marlin ran into a problem that's going to take some bench time to diagnose. It cycled fine to clear the last shot but when I went to open it to pull a quick wipe through the bolt stops after about an inch. Hopefully something I can fix.
Just a real quick guess concerning the bolt stop. Ejector broke or something in its track like brass, powder, or even a primer. I've had the same happen a couple of times and it has always been the ejector. I keep them in stock.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Ohio3Wheels wrote:Had to stop as the Marlin ran into a problem that's going to take some bench time to diagnose. It cycled fine to clear the last shot but when I went to open it to pull a quick wipe through the bolt stops after about an inch. Hopefully something I can fix.
Just a real quick guess concerning the bolt stop. Ejector broke or something in its track like brass, powder, or even a primer. I've had the same happen a couple of times and it has always been the ejector. I keep them in stock.
After looking at an animation of how the 336 works that's kinda what I figured. I'm going to see if I can get it apart and if it's the ejector I'll order 2 or 3. I noticed Midway has them. Thanks.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

At least it's not the firing pin. 336's never break those. :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Dan 444

Post by Dan 444 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
+1. Also, check to make sure that the loading gate screw is snug.

Dan
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Dan 444 wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:
+1. Also, check to make sure that the loading gate screw is snug.

Dan
I usually check all the screws every time I clean. The ejector became two pieces as I lifted it out of the receiver. To me it looks like way the spring is curled to fit in the ejector body is a potential fatigue point. Ordered 2 from Midway last night.

Make smoke,
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I finished my now three year plus old Lake City 5.56X45mm brass project. It stalled in the trim stage when I was not at all satisfied with Lee's methods but too cheap to do anything else. I scored a Frankford trimmer and conditioner machine new for 1/3 off retail and finished the brass last night. When I get time I will post a video in the equipment section.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Raining and foggy today so I hid in the workshop and did some reloading. Going to do two side by side ladder tests in my 308 99f using IMR4064. Hornady 168 HPBT Match. Cases are all Winchester. One ladder is with regular CCI 200 and the other with CCI 250 magnum primers. I am also seating only .010 off the lands. This means loading one at a time as they are much too long for the magazine. Looking forward to seeing the difference the primer makes and if loading with less jump improves this rifles groups.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:Raining and foggy today so I hid in the workshop and did some reloading. Going to do two side by side ladder tests in my 308 99f using IMR4064. Hornady 168 HPBT Match. Cases are all Winchester. One ladder is with regular CCI 200 and the other with CCI 250 magnum primers. I am also seating only .010 off the lands. This means loading one at a time as they are much too long for the magazine. Looking forward to seeing the difference the primer makes and if loading with less jump improves this rifles groups.
Will be looking forward to your results! On my short list is working with my 99E with the Speer HCSP 165 & 180-grain bullets.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Reloading”