What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Well, late last night anyway. Loaded a short ladder in the 450 Bushmaster using LilGun and Acme 250 grain rnfp with Hi-Tek coating. Clocked them with the LabRadar but it's still in the car so numbers later if anyone is interested. I do remember the best SD was 5.7 and that load averaged around 2000 fps out of my 16" barrel.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I've been tinkering with a 6.5 Japanese . I think I spend too much time figuring things out and not enough time doing .
The challenge is the .268 groove and that it will chamber a .278 cast bullet if I turn necks a little . Not unusual in a mil-surp really and the .268 vs .266 groove isn't odd either . I need to pull my dummy and measure , then get a sizer die about .001 under . I expect that to be about about .275 .
At that point I could ream and rifle it at 1-11 7mm and have a 7-08' or 275 Rigby .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I was able to try some stuff .
The .277 130 PC'd was poor but possible .
The 280413 (473?) was a complete failure .
The 270-140 NOE has real potential Groupon the best of the 3 all fired over 9.9 gr of Unique .

I'm basically repeating the trial with the 2804?? Lyman and adding a 266469DV (.266/7-140 Lovers styled bullet) paper patched with Unique and H4831 . Hopefully 30-40 of these will help the barrel frost .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
jwfilips

Post by jwfilips »

Loaded up my "Low Node" 234 Win Cartridges that shot so well a few weeks ago. The NOE 246-105 pointed flat nose / sans gas checks and PC coated with a whopping 5.3 grains of American Select ( think Green Dot) Giving me the blazing speed of 970 fps! and they like to go in the same hole at 50 yards!
Will see how I do tomorrow!
" Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - G. Washington,
56th Rule
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I will be glad for my move to be done so I can get back to the bench.
Michael
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by killian6pk »

I made 40 - 6.5 Creedmoor to go on a long range target shooting trip. Used 10 of each bullet.
144gn Berger Hybrid Target
140gn Berger Hybrid Target
145gn Barnes Match Burners
140gn Sierra MatchKing's
All loaded with H4350. Large rifle primers. Using once fired Hornady brass, resized and seated with a Hornady micrometer seating die. For my Remington 700 with 26" barrel and Athlon Helos 6-24 X50 scope.

I am also taking 2 boxes of Hornady ELD Match manufactured ammo, just to compare with what I made. Hopefully mine will be as good or better than the Hornady. Hope to make a lot of smoke out to 1,000 yards and maybe if I'm lucky hit the target :D
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

for the first time since late July I actually managed to reload a very small batch of 30-30. I've spent 3 of those weeks fighting covid, double pneumonia, the "regular flu" mixed in, 100-101° temps for nearly 2 weeks - but I think I'm still here (wherever that is). Even though my body laughed at me the whole time I was loading that huge batch of 15 Tru-Shot 170 gr rnfp g/c bullets over 15 gr of AA#7, it was at least doing something normal for a change. Went to church this morning for the first time since early August, and now I'm smoking a few sticks of boudin and sausage to nibble on for a few days.

I did deprime and clean a few .357's Friday, and resized/flared them yesterday. Normally, something gets reloaded around here at least twice a month, so obviously I seem to be behind.

But, life is good again. :)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

What is reloading?

Glad you're feeling better.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Glad to see you are better and back at the bench.
bayou

Post by bayou »

I recently cast some 30 cal 185 grain projectiles for the 30-06. I powder coated them and also gas checked them. After having previously loaded some experimental rounds with lower charges and having zero fouling, I loaded this batch to the same level of charge as my jacketed 168 grain Custom Competitions, that being, with 45.2 grains of 4064. I shot some of them yesterday.

At 100 yards, the cast bullets were landing within an inch. Just as importantly, there was zero fouling or leading in the barrel. I don't have a chrony, so I'm not sure of the velocity, but my guess would be in the 2200 + or so fps range. Recoil was a bit sharper than with the Custom Competitions likely owing to the fact that more of the cast bullet was inside of the brass and had to be seated a bit deeper in order to chamber.

I'm not a hunter but I wonder what impact effect these things would have on game. If I ever have the chance, I'd like to set out 5 or 6 gallon jugs of water and retrieve the bullet for inspection. My dual cavity mold has one cavity hollow-pointed to boot. I'd like to see the expansion effect on those in particular.

Pic of those projectiles:

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member

Return to “Rifle Reloading”