223/556

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

223/556

Post by killian6pk »

Other than the 556 case being a little heavier and thicker walled (so less room for powder) is there any other difference between the two rounds? Same bullet, primer etc.? Do the reloading manuals (my lee manual is still on the way) make a distinction between the two? I have some Lake City once fired brass and want to load it. I understand about the crimped primer pocket prep.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 223/556

Post by Macd »

For reloading purposes the slightly thicker wall of some 5.56 cases may require adjusting the powder down slightly to get the same velocity. Not all 5.56 brass is made to the same NATO specs and those specs have tolerances so if you really want consistency trim cases to the same length after sizing and separate by weight. The primer pockets may also need swagging or reaming to remove the primer crimp. I will not get into the internet argument of whether it is safe to fire a NATO spec 5.56 round in a 223 chamber. I haven't had to worry as I haven't had the occasion to try and regardless my bolt rifle says .223 - 5.56 on the barrel. Surprisingly even with the longer 5.56 leade, hence jump it is sub-MOA even with .55 grain bullets. It gets even better with 65 to 69 grain ones.
Last edited by Macd on 18 May 2020 09:06, edited 1 time in total.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Technically there are other minor differences. I don't buy factory .223 REM nor do I use .223 REM brass. I don't have any .223 REM bolt guns so I only use 5.56X45 military cases that I spend time on prepping.

For middle-ground "normal" loads, you will likely see little difference.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks for the replys, both of my AR's have wylde chambers. I have 69 grain bullets that I plan to use with the Lake City brass that I have. But, I also have quite a bit of manufactured ammo that will yield some 223 brass to load. I agree that the 69 gr. bullets seem to be very accurate from all the testing that I have seen. I am not sure I understand this completely, but from what I can tell hollow point bullets are more accurate than plain jacketed bullets. I have not done any real in depth research on this. I am sure there is some aerodynamic property that I don't understand. To me it seems that the hollow point would create more drag and cause a larger chance of the bullet going offline. Any thoughts on this?
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

For years I have shot Sierra Match King boat tail HP bullets in a couple of 223s and 6.5mm rifles. As close as I can shoot the equivalent soft points are very slightly less accurate then the Match Kings. We're talking 10ths of an inch here. Significant to the bench rest shooter, but for fun and game doesn't matter. Sierra advises against using the MKs on game. I've never tried them on big game and ground hogs and coyotes don't seem to notice a difference as long as I do my part, DRT.

Enjoy either, they test your rifle and your skills.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

One of the most accurate bullets in my bolt rifle is the Hornady 60 grain SP Varmint #2270. I would have thought otherwise but after shooting a couple of hundred there is no doubt. Pleasant suprises like this is one of the reasons I enjoy handloading.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Macd wrote:As good an explanation as any.
https://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/08/21/h ... -accurate/
Thanks for that article. It does a really good job of simply explaining the difference. I am not a bench competition shooter, but I do like to compete with myself and experiment with different companies ammo and powder load sizes on manuf. ammo. That is part of the reason that I wanted to start reloading to be able to safely experiment with powder and bullets to develop more accurate ammo.

I realize that a 223/556 is not going to be the most accurate rifle possible and I will probably end up with a bolt rifle in the future. I do have a match grade barrel on one of my AR's and it is pretty accurate compared to my other rifle barrel. Just an off the shelf fairly expensive barrel, but was not advertised as a match barrel.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Even cheap bullets like the 2266B I mentioned can be accurate when driven by the right load in a good rifle.

Best Target.jpg
Sav10X.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Nice groups, I'm jealous. I can get groups like that from 7 yds with my 9mm on a really good day.
:lol: http://www.lee-loader.com/posting.php?m ... =45&t=3210#

Return to “Rifle Reloading”