What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Ranch Dog »

orerancher wrote:
barracudadave67 wrote:I loaded up 50 rds of .444 Marlin for my new CVA Scout 2, hope to get to the range this week.
Dave
The thought of the 444 in the Scout makes my left eye hurt.
Michael
barracudadave67
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by barracudadave67 »

Rancher
I loaded 39.3 grns of IMR-4198, along with some of my old stock Hornady 265 grn interlock FP. We'll see how they work.
I took the muzzle brake, that it came with, off the rifle, and installed the thread protector that it came with. The brakes are just too loud under a canopy at the range.
Dave
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

barracudadave67 wrote:Rancher
I loaded 39.3 grns of IMR-4198, along with some of my old stock Hornady 265 grn interlock FP. We'll see how they work.
I took the muzzle brake, that it came with, off the rifle, and installed the thread protector that it came with. The brakes are just too loud under a canopy at the range.
Dave
Luv 4198 in the .444 I like the Lee 310g FP...
Have Fun!
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

mr surveyor wrote:So far this morning I haven't had the proper "start time" yet for my short 30-30 loading session, but the primed brass, True Shot bullets, AA#7 powder and all the necessary tools are set up and ready to go. For some reason, cast bullets in the 30-30 have become an addiction in the last couple of years .... thanks to RD and a few other friends (enablers).

So far in my limited tests of the True Shot 165 gr RNFP (GC) with AA#7 powder, the lower powder charges tend to shoot tighter groups. My load with 14.0 gr (best target group) measured 1635 fps with a ME 980 fp. The next best target group was with 14.3 gr which measured 1687 fps with a ME 1043 fp. Since I'm only looking for a minimum (at the muzzle) ME of 1000 fp, the plan is to try 14.2 gr and hope for accuracy.

Just waiting for the right conditions with no interruptions or distractions.

jd

edit to add ... 2:20 pm the 30-30's are loaded and ready to go (along with a batch of .45 acp)

edit again :) .... 9:10 pm and a small batch of .357 mag and 9mm added to the day!

Woo-hoo, a re-loading day, and since I handled the dangerous stuff after 6:00 pm, seems the dain bramage is finally beginning to wear off too
Where did You find Data for #7 for the 30-30? Iv'e been using Red Dot under the Lee Soup Can...But #7 sounds Interesting...
Thanks!
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

orerancher wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:So far this morning I haven't had the proper "start time" yet for my short 30-30 loading session, but the primed brass, True Shot bullets, AA#7 powder and all the necessary tools are set up and ready to go. For some reason, cast bullets in the 30-30 have become an addiction in the last couple of years .... thanks to RD and a few other friends (enablers).

So far in my limited tests of the True Shot 165 gr RNFP (GC) with AA#7 powder, the lower powder charges tend to shoot tighter groups. My load with 14.0 gr (best target group) measured 1635 fps with a ME 980 fp. The next best target group was with 14.3 gr which measured 1687 fps with a ME 1043 fp. Since I'm only looking for a minimum (at the muzzle) ME of 1000 fp, the plan is to try 14.2 gr and hope for accuracy.

Just waiting for the right conditions with no interruptions or distractions.

jd

edit to add ... 2:20 pm the 30-30's are loaded and ready to go (along with a batch of .45 acp)

edit again :) .... 9:10 pm and a small batch of .357 mag and 9mm added to the day!

Woo-hoo, a re-loading day, and since I handled the dangerous stuff after 6:00 pm, seems the dain bramage is finally beginning to wear off too
Where did You find Data for #7 for the 30-30? Iv'e been using Red Dot under the Lee Soup Can...But #7 sounds Interesting...
Thanks!

Over the last 4-5 years of being interested in the subject I've run across several "essays" on the web by some of the old time shooter/re-loaders concerning using pistol powders in the 30-30. I can't even name them now as I found a much more reliable source in the last 2 years. Several of the firearms/re-loading web sites I frequent (this site included) have some very knowledgeable members (I exclude myself) when it comes to shooting cast bullets in rifle calibers ... using pistol powders. There are a few of these folks that I know for sure are extremely experienced and about at "expert" on the subject as I could ever hope to be. As to be expected, and should be the only advice given, I get " a safe start load for the XXX grain bullet with XXX powder is XXX grains .... then work up slowly, watching for pressure signs ... you're on your own".

In my less than 2 years of loading cast with pistol powders in the 30-30, I've tended to find the actual accuracy node to be just a few tenths of a grain of "pistol powder" above the recommended start charge that was provided by the trusted, experienced re-loader.

I'm sure you're well aware of the published re-loading data (probably a little older) using Unique with cast bullets. The Lyman 46'th Ed. is all I have on hand with that data, but I have NO published data for AA#7 - which is one of my favorite powders.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Yep, reloading snobs need to go bother someone else. XX Unique will work fine with cast .30-30. :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Jabber

Post by Jabber »

Prepping brass for 30-30 and 40-70SS. State levergun match in 2 weeks. Using Marlin 30-30, Marlin 32-20, and Henry 22lr.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Fifty rounds of 30-06. Hornady 150 grain Interlock SP.. 49 grains of H4895. Going up to Ontario for a Whitetail hunt. Going to try to get some Turkey hunting in too.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:Fifty rounds of 30-06. Hornady 150 grain Interlock SP.. 49 grains of H4895. Going up to Ontario for a Whitetail hunt. Going to try to get some Turkey hunting in too.
Good luck on the hunt. Texas opening weekend is coming up, still, haven't decided what rifle to use!
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Ranch Dog wrote: Texas opening weekend is coming up, still, haven't decided what rifle to use!
Well, in my professional opinion :lol: It's because you have to many???
As a practicing professional, im willing to help you out & take a small
truck load of them off your hands for safe keeping???
Or, use one in the morning, one in the afternoon, one in the evening,
throughout the season, that would work.
+guns +guns +guns +guns

Sorry Michael, couldent help it, just one of those mornings :D :D
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Rifle Reloading”