303 British SMLE Cases

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.

When shot from your SMLE, do your cases look like those in the image?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 6

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 303 British SMLE Cases

Post by Ranch Dog »

Should add that with the 300 Sav, 308 Win, 7.62x39 and 35 Rem; I never return to the full-length die before the case necks need to be retired (tossed). I use the Collet with all those cartridges.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

As promised another picture with cases compared. I have included some measurements. Wish I had time to figure out tables in this forum. The loaded case is a factory Winchester as are the others except the noted PPU case.

Measurements (Left to Right)
1. .450 .455 .450 .450
2. .427 .426 .430 .425
3. .401 .404 .405 .401

Case Length (left to Right)
2.218 2.209 2.210 2.222

It is hard to make comparisons on such a small sample. The difference in the taper and length of the PPU case to the unfired Winchester is striking. The long length of the neck on the sized case understandable as the brass has to go somewhere when the neck is sized down. The case length is right at the maximum shown in my Lee manual. These cases will get a trim before being cleaned and reloaded.
303 Cases Comparison.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've always wondered what a fired case from a Ruger #1 looks like.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Ranch Dog wrote:I've always wondered what a fired case from a Ruger #1 looks like.
I wouldn't mind seeing one too. These are from a Parker Hale #4 Mk 1/2 made in Maltby in 1944 that was FTR'd in 1955. I believe it was given a brand new barrel as it is bright and shiny with really sharp rifling. The bolt head is a #0 and it has one of the tightest actions in a LE I have every experienced. I keep on meaning to do a chamber cast on it and several other surplus rifles I have but getting Cerrosafe isn't easy up here.
PH 303.jpg
PH 303 Recevier.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Really like the Stock on Your Rifle!
Fat Albert
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Fat Albert »

Macd: you are just "peeing in dark" if you are trimming your cases and don't know what the actual chamber lenght (bolt face to end of the chamber neck) is. 303 Brit were battle rifle and chambered so you could firer dirty ammo all day without cleaning them. If you are worried about case lenght get a "chamber button" to find the lenght. NOE casting Moulds and Sinclair sell them and Sinclair has a video on how to uses them. I got one when I had a #1mk3 and we tested 10 303B at my gun club and the shortest was 35/1000" over max. and the longest was 1/4". PS: when I bought my rifle, I bought 100new Rem cases(only port in the storm at the time) and a 2 Die Lee set. After firing the cases I saw what the full lenght die did to the first 5 cases I stopped sizing. I ordered a Redding neck sizer (Lee didn't make a collet neck sizer then) and never used the FL sizer again and fired all the cases about 20 each. My best load was with Speer .311 150gr and IMR 4320 .
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Quite right I do not know the actual maximum neck length that is safe in this rifle hence staying to published maximum. If you must "Pee in the dark" then at least do it safely eh? I also trim to length any case where I am roll crimping into a cannelure.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:Quite right I do not know the actual maximum neck length that is safe in this rifle hence staying to published maximum. If you must "Pee in the dark" then at least do it safely eh? I also trim to length any case where I am roll crimping into a cannelure.
I agree, especial when the chamber length is beyond the confines of the magazine.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Yep
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
reloader762

Post by reloader762 »

RD you might find this thread of interest. It's pretty long but there is some good info on reloading for the 303 British and ways to prep your brass to extend the case life, the O ring trick is especially useful.

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=24699
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht

Return to “Rifle Reloading”