What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I kinda figured I'll know when they go off. The 22.5 is the minimum load listed. Since the only 44 mag pistol I currently own is my old TC 44mag/shot barrel most if not all of these will go through the Henry 44 BBS.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Well, finally found some 32 ACP bullets and loaded them up yesterday. I'm already reconsidering reloading for a 32 Auto. I dropped the 71 gr. bullets half a dozen times. Loading 2.0 gr of W231 was an adventure, my PPM powder measure won't consistently drop charges that small (the mic adjustment was screwed all the way in), and I dropped two of the charged tiny cases going between the load block and the press. I tried just trickling a load into the pan, and the smallest dipper I has dropped 4 gr. But even with the problems of old fat fingers and tiny components, I still enjoyed the time...

If/when I figger out loading the wee cartridge, I'm sure it will be as easy as the 9mm I reload (but nowhere near the 45 ACP or 45 Colt handloads!)
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have the same problem with 380s particularly if I just spent the previous month loading big fat cases,

Sta safe, be well, make smoke
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
kaycee

Post by kaycee »

Loaded up 100 rounds in .454 Casull. 240gr Hornady XTP-MAG over 34.0gr of H-110 to be unloaded using a Rossi R92 and Smith and Wesson .460 mag. These are going to hurt!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

25 Auto, 250 of them. Started with decapping and swagging on the APP. Checked the case length on all, none needed trimming. On to case mouth chamfering in and out. Tossed them into the Lyman Corn Cob Plus and let them rattle two hours. Shook them really good, and dumped them Not a primer hole blocked and dumped them straight into the case collator on the Load-Master. I guess no block flash holes, if so, the HD Guided Decapper took care of it at stage #1. Two Hundred and fifty-five handle pulls later, done. They are some very pretty cartridges. Not a bump or interruption, every primer perfect.

Speer #3895 35-grain Gold Dot pushed with 1.7-grains of TiteGroup.

I love the APP & Load-Master! The go together like bread & butter!
Michael
kaycee

Post by kaycee »

Nearly a full box of .44 Magnum. Starline brass, the last of my 240gr Rem JHP from the late '80s (sigh) over 19.0gr of AA#9.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Kaiser »

Yesterday, I loaded 48 rounds of .45acp with Bullseye and 200JSP Sierras. (What a pleasure after loading 75 rounds of .32acp days before :) .
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

GasGuzzler wrote:7.0 grains Unique under my cast 260 grain Lee bullets. My lube sized at .452 through my heated RCBS LAB then coated with BLL. 1.60" OAL.

I'm out of these bullets nearly so I only made 30. Need to cast some more but thanks to RD, my sprue cutter is working again and ready when I am.

I guess I built 32 back then. I finished the box of 50 today by building 18 more to match since between then and now I cast /sized/lubed a few more.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Actually did it yesterday, but started loading some 45 Super using Starline 45 Super brass and 185gr. Hornady XTP bullets. Doing this on a single stage press very carefully using a "batch" system. Western sent me some data for the cartridge using Silhouette powder and a couple others as well but Silhouette is all I have that's suitable, for now. So I get everything all lined out, dies set, load block ready, sized the cases and primed them with Win. LPP using an RCBS bench primer. Used the Lee Universal flare die with an NOE "plug" set right where I want it. Started with Western's start load for this combination and loaded TWO. Then loaded two each in increments of .2 up to .1 under stated max charge. All charges hand thrown, weighed twice. Easy does it. (sweat beads on brow) :D
Took the 1911 apart installed the Sprinco Corbon unit, with a 23lb recoil spring (that was a bear to get back together) also installed a 25lb main spring and heavier firing pin spring. I had already installed a flat bottom firing pin stop some time ago. Guns ready, I'm ready. Will shoot today.
Then...I had to laugh at myself for not checking my notes before I started these loads cause' I found that I have already fired some rounds that are .2 higher in charge weight than the Super start loads. Those loads were a max +P load... :oops: The way the gun is set up right now those may not even cycle the action.... :lol: oh well, we'll see. I'm sure when I get up the "ladder" closer to the max loads everything will work as planned. :? According to Western this "max" load should run the 185's at 1300. I've seen some other's that load the Super are loading 230's to that level with a different powder, but that's probably further than I'm willing to go. :shock:
I'm just guessing here, but after I scratch this itch I'm probably going back to setting up for +P loads at the most. Uhhh, well, maybe stick the big spring in there once in awhile... :mrgreen:

Edit: Wanted to add that several measurements were taken during the process. Brass length was measured before starting. Finished rounds were crimped at .03 (2xcase wall thickness plus bullet dia. minus .03 =.470) using the seating die AFTER bullets were seated. OAL was kept to within .01. Case head measurements were taken just above the extractor groove and will be individually checked upon firing. That's about the best I can do at this point, anything I missed you can think of..?
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

I can think of something you missed,,, how about, go pull the trigger?????
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Handgun Reloading”