What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by mr surveyor »

I love the Hornady 240 gr XTP's in my R92 .... very accurate bullets

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

Since my one employee had scheduled to take off today ... and it rained all day anyway ... I was forced to have an office day. No pressing office work, so .... play time.

I had a bunch of dirty brass from the last 2-3 range trips in the last month so I deprimed and cleaned a bunch of 30-30, 9mm and 45 acp. Got a bit of other cleaned brass stored for future processing and still had time left. Loaded up a few 45 acp's with a bit of left over time.

It's supposed to be cleared out tomorrow and the "help" will be back, so I guess it's back to the normal grind. Anymore, I'm not sure if I re-load to shoot or shoot to have empty brass to re-load. I like 'em both!

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

mr surveyor wrote: Anymore, I'm not sure if I re-load to shoot or shoot to have empty brass to re-load. I like 'em both.jd
I feel the same way. Shoot so I can load.. I'll admit, im one of the old grouchy ones that enjoys brass prep ??????????
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I definitely shoot to reload!
Michael
Ben Nelson
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Ben Nelson »

Thanksgiving time . . . That means reloading season begins at my bench . . . Decapped about 1000 pieces of 9mm brass today. I will fill them with 124gr RMR hollow points pushed by some CFE pistol.
Sons of the American Revolution . . . We're still here.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

I found a bit of free time, so I reloaded a bag of prepped 9mm then sized and flared another batch for the next little session. Actually the next session may be tomorrow afternoon, but I already have plans for loading up a bit of 44 mag and XTP's.

jd
Guinearun

Post by Guinearun »

Everyone plays catch up over holidays! Finished the last 200 9mm 224 powder coat. That gets me back up to 2,000, until all three family shooters go to same match anyway! LOL! Do we ever get caught up?
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Been a bit bored the last several days so have been spending a quite a bit of time reading about reloading
"stuff", lots of "stuff". Then I would have to go into the reloading room and check out some of this "stuff". Lot's of measuring to do for things with the brass and bullet setup for the 7 mag. Oh, picked up an RCBS precision mic for it. I guess because the one I have for my 06' just frustrates the heck out of me so may as well"double frustrate" myself, right. So a bit of time spent with that little do-dad and comparing it to the Hornady comparators, cross referencing (attempt to anyway) the measurements. Gets close, that's about all I'll say there. I did get up the nerve from these measurements to load up some rounds to fire form cases
(with some reassurance from LarryW) by loading into the lands with start loads of powder. Not fired any yet because it just doesn't seem "quite right" and I do like typing with all 10 fingers. But I digress as we are on a handgun loading thread I will tell you about some 9mm loading I've been foolin' with. Remember I mentioned lots of reading about "stuff", well I got into some of my old reloading books just looking for something "different" to load up or try out. Reading about Blue Dot and the 9 and the impressive numbers it gives. Well, a guy just has to try that.
So I loaded 10 rounds on the Load Master using the Auto Drum measure. I was loading 115gr Speer GDHP, max load shows 8.5/8.6 depending on which book. Tried to set the AD for 8gr. (several try's) finally ended up at 8.2.....close enough, the Ruger is rated for +P and I'm stupid so what the heck. Then I thought, 10 rounds isn't hardly worth going outside (it's in the high 30's here today) so I recall that Herco used to be a "preferred" powder for the 9mm and I happen to have about 8 pounds of it so loaded some of those up at 6.2 grains under a 124grain RMR plated truncated cone bullet. Outside I go with my 20 rounds in two 10 round mags. Up first was the Herco. Pleasant recoil, has some authority, shoots clean with good accuracy (group size) no idea of fps but may have to run them through a Chrony just for giggles. Might surprise me some. Then came the Blue Dot. Oh yeah, much "crisper" recoil, totally different sound and the cases went up and over my right shoulder and landed about 15 feet away. Found 8 of them. I LIKE THIS LOAD. The max load "shows" about 1250fps and I think I would believe that. It burns clean at this level and is accurate "enough" for 25yd shooting for sure. Both of these loads are compressed as the powder fills the case right to the mouth. Not sure what I'm gonna' do tomorrow, maybe 8.5 of the BD???? Maybe up the Herco a little. I don't have much Blue Dot and I do like it for my 45 Colt loads, but like I said I got a lot of Herco.... +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

As soon as all the fanfare of Christmas passes, I will be getting back to my Load-Masters. Thanks for giving me reading material!
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Reloading for my new 1911 45 acp, brass from Larryw sent me was all prepped over two days, (Fri-Sat) received my bullets from RMR today (Sunday) and immediately started loading some to try out. Loaded and fired 3 mags (24) and all went well so loaded up another 50. I wrote all this info in a thread about my New Gun in this section. This is one time I'm actually loading to shoot not vice versa.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”