What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Steve »

Loaded 100 40 S&W because the press was already set up for 40s.

It seemed super nice to reload again. Finally got healed up enough from Feb 3rd surgery to start doing things I like. Going to try shooting center fire rifle and pistol tomorrow. (And my new 22 LR) Hot darn I can hardly wait!

I have 1000 primed 380 cases to load. Going to start on them later today. (I did shoot the 380 a little from my car when I was laid up.)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great to hear that you are doing better!
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I'm glad to hear this as well, and keep us posted to your range trip. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

Finished reloading 250 9mm and a bunch of 6.2 Carcano. Got too hot this afternoon to do much more yard work sooo......
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Steve wrote: Any black powder yet Fyodor? Is it legal for you to make your own?
I got 1 kilogramm, but not the brand I requested. Mine is still on back order for at least another six weeks.

Unfortunately, making black powder is illegal in Germany.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Fyodor wrote:
I got 1 kilogramm, but not the brand I requested. Mine is still on back order for at least another six weeks.

Now that I think about it I don't know if it is legal to make BP here. I saved some recopies for black powder, would like to make some to use in my 54 caliber side lock.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:
Fyodor wrote:

Now that I think about it I don't know if it is legal to make BP here. I saved some recopies for black powder, would like to make some to use in my 54 caliber side lock.
people seam to be making it as plenty of Youtube and CB has some threads on the subject. But every State is different in their laws.
Je suis Charlie
MoMan

Post by MoMan »

Loaded up some 45lc for both the Uberti Cattleman, and Rossi R92.
I loaded 50 up with 160gr RNFP over 7.0gr of W231 for the revolver, and 50 with the same bullet but over 8.1gr for the Rossi. I'm ready to give them a whirl, might try to sneak out on Monday. I went a little hotter on the rifle loads because I want to shoot out to 100 yards. Any thoughts on these loads?

This is really my 1st reloading for the 45lc. I did a couple of heavier bullets just because I had them here, but haven't shot them yet. They are: 230gr LRN, over 6.1gr of W231. What do you think of these?

I have been reloading for about 5-6 years, mostly just target loads on all handgun calibers (.380, 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, 38sp, 357mag), but never reloaded for the 45lc, until now. So I am open for suggestions.
Right now everything I load can be done with W231, I prefer to keep it to 1 powder because I just think there is less chance of an error.
MO

Member: Kentucky Regulators G.C./LaSalle Sportsmen's Club/NRA
LEE 4-hole Turret press, LEE PRO 1000 Progressive press
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I use H110 for my heavier boolits in the 45 Colt, but I'm talking 250 grains and above up to about 325, but if memory serves (don't always trust it) W231 and H110 are either the same powder different label or identical twins. Either way always back off and work up when switching between powders that are said to be twins. With my home cast 325's I'm currently using 23.6 grains of H110 and yes there's no doubt it's gone off. Tried one or two of those in my convertible Black Hawk and quickly backed down the pistol loads. Fellow traveler here recommended 19 grains and that seems tolerable but you wouldn't want all day with them. Sight in and then hunting rounds. I can use either the BH or the '92 on Ohio white tail and so that's the plan. For plinking and other extended shooting I'm using anything from 200 to 250 grain cast or plated and near maximum charges of Trail Boss. I don't have my load notes with me but the published data for TB is good.

I do a bit of 357 and 44 Mag, a good bit of 45ACP and since wife now has a 380 a lot of 380 :D .

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hey moman. I haven't been loading for the 45 colt for very long but my accuracy round for now is a Sierra 240 gr JHC bullet #8820 on the chronograph it was 1220 fps, ES=14, SD=8. powder is 20 gr IMR 4227, OAL 1.575".

Because I don't plan on shooting a lot of these the time to reload doesn't mater so I weigh all charges, which is still pretty fast with the Lyman DPS, just hit the start button and it flows fast to within a couple grains of set weight then trickles it to finish.

I want to make a much heavier faster load for it this summer.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”