What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tinkered with the 7.62x39 and my Ruger Mini-30. I've been trying to find out exactly what is wrong with the chamber cut through chamber impressions. I also have been working on the magazine feed on the rifle with cast bullets. Figured that out.

All this has entailed loading three rounds at the bench, walking up the range, and shooting them. I did this all afternoon yesterday. The main thing is the record keeping so you can go back and look at what you did.

I'm going to make another chamber impression this morning and decide what needs to be done to the rifle or bullet.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote: The main thing is the record keeping so you can go back and look at what you did.
Mark Twain once said "There are 2 kinds of people. Those who admit to lying and lairs." Base on his assumption the biggest lie I tell myself is ... "I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Haah!

I have spiral bound tablets that pretty much cover my reloading life. When I need something from the past I can always go back to the approximate date and start looking. The funny thing is that what I'm looking for is usually what I didn't write down!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I received clips for a "new" 1917 S&W Saturday so it was only prudent to try it out my book of pass/fail said 5.5 Unique was a huge success with long seated 255 RNFP in my Mom's Colt so I loaded a dozen and shot them . I need to back that down a little ,I guess the tighter chamber throats and the tighter gaps make it run a little faster and build higher pressures not over loads but more than I want to shoot a bunch.

I also worked a Colts load for 92' Rosschester. I was gifted a mould that was oversized for 44 but just right for a paper patched 45 pistol. It is a Keith style SWC dropping at 448 with a front band at 429 and 257 gr . With its long nose getting it to feed was a challenge never mind that this 1 just plain doesn't like Remington brass, would have been nice to know before getting 200 to segregate for the rifle. Anyway a switch to Win and some seating tinkering and it fed like a champ . I laid in some H110 from a Speer manual and after the 1st 15 I have a good line to dial in a load and get it across the Chrony.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mvacdp
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mvacdp »

Loaded 150 .45acp on my LCT. Wet tumbled and dried 150 .45acp cases. If I don't work tomorrow I plan to load a couple hundred .223.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mvacdp wrote:Loaded 150 .45acp on my LCT. Wet tumbled and dried 150 .45acp cases. If I don't work tomorrow I plan to load a couple hundred .223.
Sounds like a great way to spend a day off!
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Spent most of the morning (That started at zero dark thirty) taking orders, doing up delivery emails to sod farms, invoicing landscapers and generally planning.

In addition to the necessary work up above, I found time to post a "how to" in the do it yourself forum and spent a lot of time downloading things the pain drugs I used for the kidney stone had slowed down/held back. Not the most pleasant morning I have had overall I must say.

Done with early morning orders, have a GP Doctor's appointment at 11 as a follow up to talk about a few things. After that's done, I may shop for availability on a few rifles I've been wanting to buy.:)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The last of it sounds like fun Dave...

I played farmer for the last two days as another cold front advanced towards us. A lot of time on the tractor prepping soil to accept the anticipated rainfall. Only small bits of time during breaks to finish up the Savage 340.

Now the front is through and the rain in the ground so I'm free for a couple of days. Here is what I have to address now. A reloading room that looks like this.
mess_01.jpg
mess_02.jpg
mess_03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

Well, I've seen worse, which was described as "freshly tidied up".

I know what I should be doing: loading .38spl and .45Auto in quantity. I'm about 2000 round short to survive this year. And I plan to develop new black powder loads for my .38spl and .44-40. The black powder match a few weeks ago was a blast.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I went to the range today with the Henry 45, shot steel plates, a 100 yard gong, and an old 5 gallon bucket. After that I drank coffee with one of the guys and lied how good I can shoot.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”