What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Ranch Dog »

There is a fellow on my Rossi forum that does similar loads with his R92 45 Colt against bore bees. Seems like a lot of fun.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

+of I used to put out bird feeders in the fall for overwinter and early spring. Unfortunately one year I had rats take up residence somewhere near. SWMBO saw them first under the feeders and declared either the rats had to go or the feeders were history. We had about 18 inches of snow on the ground. Traps got nowhere. All I caught was a small bird. Poison went untouched. Now it is illegal to discharge even a pellet gun in the city so I decided covert measures were necessary. I set up a step ladder in the back second floor bedroom and bought some CCI 22 shotshells. Got up at about 2AM on a clear moonlit night and sure enough two black shapes were munching away under the feeders. I slowly opened window, got up on the ladder to get a line, and took aim. Took one right in the body and he jumped up and ran under a shed. The other went after him. Only problem I forgot wake the wife first. She was not amused. Got the second one several nights later with a sub-sonic. This time wife was wide awake and doors to both bedrooms closed. I still have the shotshells. Wonder if I could hit a deer fly in the air.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

Check this out.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

I made my first 50 .357 magnum cartridges on my new Lee Value Turret press. Used my cast, powder coated, TL358 158 gr SWC bullets with CFE Pistol powder. I have a perfect powder measure I leave set for 5.7 grains for this load and my cast lead 230 grain .45 auto loads. The Value turret press is great.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Friday, Picked up a NIB Taurus Mod. 85 2in. .38special.

Saturday loaded some 160g WC from and old Ideal mold, over 3g of Bullseye....The little Darlin, didn't think much of that Bullet at 25ft.....

Next loaded some NOE 357-135 sized at .358 over the same 3g of Bullseye.... Outstanding!!! and even more Surprising, It was right at POI of the fixed sites on that stubby Barrel.... :o :D
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Outstanding. I have the Rossi 351, similar, and it sure shoots very nice. I shoot my TL358-125-RF out of it.
Michael
Dannymcmullen
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Dannymcmullen »

loading none but i do have some sizing i need to dig out my hand press for i love being able to set in my recliner and do my work in front of the tv at night then use the turret for nights when the lady wants to watch all her girly shows
An avid reloader is one poor sole
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

With the indoor IPSC season about to start I decided to load up a couple of hundred 9mm Luger. I usually use cast but was low on lead bullets so decided to use my the supply of Berry's 124 grain HP's. Other decision was to go with Bullseye. I ended up only getting 50 done and that was a struggle. Primer seating arm kept popping off pin in ram and falling out on floor. Had to clean everything, polish surfaces of the arm and realign the primer seating post with the shell holder hole. I used a Lee Adjustable Charge Bar with the Pro Auto Measure as I wanted to drop a weight that none of the disks would give me. I was getting up to 0.3 grain variation in drops. I ended up having to weigh every charge. Finally seating depth varied from 1.055 to 1.070! Anything over 1.064 with the HP's will not pass the barrel drop test in my S&W M&P9. While there was some minor variation in length from bullet to bullet, I believe the problem is more related to the hollow point nose shape and the recess in the seating plug. The recess seems more designed for a round nose bullet. I have had this problem with truncated cone bullets but not semi-wad cutters. I have learned to give it up when things get frustrating. Too easy to make mistakes.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Sounds familiar. My primer arm kept hanging up inside the ram a while back and that caused all kinds of rhythm issues on a turret press.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:I have learned to give it up when things get frustrating. Too easy to make mistakes.
For sure one of those golden rules with reloading or casting. If the work isn't flowing smoothly, might as well fold up for the day because it's probably not going to get any better. It's not being a quitter, who said that? The reloading or casting isn't over, you're resyncing with the moon and stars!
Michael

Return to “Handgun Reloading”