What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by RBHarter »

No loading , but I did stumble over a guy that bought a lot at an auction and has no use for 500+ 45 AR cases the kids and Mom however have a couple of 1917s . At $8/100 if half of it is wasted I'm hurt any . I think I gave 45/100 for some Star Line 3-4 yr ago .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Like RB, not loading but, punched out a bunch of .357 gas checks using .010 soft copper.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I load a little something every week .... today I loaded some 45 auto - didn't really need to, but had some time so I wanted to. That's got to be the easiest thing to reload!

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

wow ... this thread is really getting old, and for some reason I feel like I'm hogging all the bandwidth

whatever ... just had to add that I loaded my first small batch of 44spl today. No fanfare as it's a run of the mill thing, but it's another chambering to have to keep up with

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Royce
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Royce »

I loaded up a box of 45 Colt ammo using 250 grain powder coated bullets and Unique powder. The primers are large pistol W-W, the cases are new Starline. OAL is 1.570". The bullets are sized to .454".
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
mikld

Post by mikld »

For my new, yet to be fired; Taurus 606 357 magnum; 124 XTP, WC820 (10% below max), CCI SPM primers all in shiny nickel cases. My truck is packed (target stands, targets, assorted stuff) just waiting for it to stop raining long enough to go to the "range"... :|
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

I loaded up a box of .44spl today ... 240 lswc, 5.5 gr Unique, Win LPP and mixed brass. I've only loaded and shot a couple hundred rounds of 44spl, mostly this load, but it works well for it's intended purpose ...
Problem is the new gun bought about 6 weeks ago ... sent back to the factory for light strike issues after it's first 2-3 weeks, but unfortunately the ffl/lgs owner that sent it just noted "mis-fires", The tech at the factory assumed it was due to the obvious lock-up and changed the hand and the extractor star ... it came back still "light striking" so on a whim I was able to trade a 100 round flat of Win LPP's for a 100 round flat of Federal LPP's - mainly to prove to my lgs buddy that the light strike issues were not due to primer cup hardness. When it went bang, there were very good indents, but when it light striked, there were only very tiny indent marks. The occurrence of the issue was 90% or more when shot in double action rather than single action. I even bought and installed a Wolff "extra-power" hammer spring for that particular revolver .... way too much spring. The EP spring was almost piercing primers, but it was 100% (out of 25 rounds I dared to try) on going bang. Also, it locked up the cylinder 2-3 times, which a good hard bump against my off hand would free it up - my guess was the firing pin sticking into the indents in the primer. Either way, my early thoughts were centered around the transfer bar and at what location it was when the hammer was to properly strike it. The EP spring obviously did increase the hammer speed and eliminated the mis-fire/light strike issue even though it created it's own issues. I discussed it with my friend and he agreed fully to send it back, again. I put the factory spring back in and cleaned the gun and we sent it off again on Monday for the road trip to it's mothership. Dang I hope they are able to fix it, or replace it. That's the only 44spl revolver I've ever held that fit's my digitally challenged hands right.

So, the reloading section of my limited brain have been focused on 44spl for the last couple of months, and it's such a pleasant experience to reload.

jd
Royce

Post by Royce »

So, the first box I loaded with a charge of Unique that was about 2 percent less than max in my Lyman reloading manual. I decided to make another box that was about 10 percent less than max.

Went to the range today with my Smith Model 25-3. It liked the ones with more powder a LOT better. Very accurate.

Royce wrote:I loaded up a box of 45 Colt ammo using 250 grain powder coated bullets and Unique powder. The primers are large pistol W-W, the cases are new Starline. OAL is 1.570". The bullets are sized to .454".
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

I was sick a few days, and went to the bench, using up "a few" left over bullets. Turned out to be some more than I thought.

500 rds .44-40 black powder
400 rds .44-40 smokeless
1000 rds .45 Auto

My arms are sore...
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
9x80Drilling
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by 9x80Drilling »

The reloading wasn't today; but it was during last week.
I put together some .38 Special for a buddy to shoot in his tiny 5 shot S&W short barreled revolver he inherited from his dad who used to be a Brinks driver many years ago. 5 gr Unique under 150 gr cast.
I also filled some .44 mag Starline cases with 20 gr Lil' Gun under 240 gr XTPs. Deadly accurate with 12 shots falling in 1.5" at 75 yards. Yay, we have a winner. Only little issue is that, at the time, I was shooting my buddy's Marlin; he was not. Haha
Then I dropped 25 gr Lil' Gun into .45 Colt Starline brass under 240 gr XTP Mag. These shot very well in my Rossi carbine, but those groups were not nearly as satisfying as the Marlin .44 mag group.
We finished the day with .38s in a Blackhawk, various .44 Special in a Ruger GP 100 and in the Marlin, .45 cast loads of 255 swc in my Rossi, including some 35 gr black powder loads, and some incidental airgun shooting.
All the firearm loads had been assembled with Lee dies; I prime with an RCBS tool on a Lee c type press.
Oh, I forgot, from two of my drillings I also sent several 8x57 jrs rounds and some 9x80Rm bullets downrange.
Last week certainly was a week full of "Reload to shoot; Shoot to reload" activity.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”