.45ACP in Colt 1911, which bullet?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: .45ACP in Colt 1911, which bullet?

Post by 62chevy »

Do the rules let you polish the ramp?
Je suis Charlie
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Yes, polishing is allowed, just no technical modification. The gun has to be a 1911 our 1911A1 milspec design. Running in and polishing is OK, though. The only thing allowed is rubber recoil buffers to reduce mechanical loads on the gun, since write a few people use original guns from the 20s or 30s.

I just read the rules again, and I'm not sure anymore if springs can be reduced or not. It says technically unaltered and no tuning allowed, but springs may be replaced. I'm not sure if softer springs are only replaced springs or tuning...

But it seams there is no power factor for wild bunch (that's the name of the US equivalent, in Germany it's called 97/11 because you use a 1911 pistol and a 1897 shotgun). For classic cowboy action the power factor in Germany is 112.5, in the US it's just half of that. It's calculated as Steve described it.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Different springs will make it alot more versital as you can shot really light loads if you just change to the right spring.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Do you reload? If so, most 1911s will shoot a H&G #68 200 grn cast SWC. All mine and friends' will. You can buy clones from various vendors.

IF you reload, shoot me a pm, and I will gladly send you some of mine (that I cast) to test load/try. Would suggest something like 4 grns of Bullseye (I shoot 5 grns for full load) and also a light Unique load. If the gun will feed/shoot mine, you should be able to buy commercial versions for reloading.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Oscar,

I do reload, and thanks for your offer to send some bullets for testing. But I live in Germany, so shoppuing them over here would be very expensive. I don't even know if I can get those bullets over here. And i don't know if you can send bullets out of the states easily. I really appreciate your offer, but for those reasons I have to reject.

I'll be using trailboss powder, because German regulations only allow us to store a very small quantity of powder, a total of 3kg, that's about 6 lbs. That's all, so I won't buy two different kinds. But I know that this powder works fine in 1911s of some of my friends, so I'm confident I'll find a good load too.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

haven't found a 1911 yet that wouldn't cycle the H&G #68 200 grn SWC. All mine and some buddies' guns have. I have NOT tried it in a Norinco, however.

I shoot mine in front of 5 grns bullseye, but way more than you need for CASS. Check, but something like 3.8 grns of Clays is a light load, and prob down to 3.8-4.0 grns bullseye should work as well with std springs.

If you want to try a few (I cast my own out of a MiHec mold - 45/45/10 lube) pm me and I can send you a small sample
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Very cheap I got some 9 original 60s military ammo boxes, including the 450 empty cases. These are military brass, so the primers will be crimped. I've read that getting the crimped primers out of a .45 is not a problem. But because of the crimp ring you can't just push a new primer in, the crimp has to be removed first.

Dillon makes a very decent but incredibly expensive primer pocket swage, and RCBS offers a cheap on-press design for the same purpose. Does LEE offer a similar tool, too? I wasn't able to find anything about such it, so I guess they don't.

Has anybody used the RCBS tool, and can tell me if it's easy to use and how are the results? With some luck I might have the opportunity to get one pretty cheap. But still it's only worth the money if it works.

RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

That tool works very well and is probably the most cost effective. (avalible,useable,what you get for what you spent)

Just this moments ago I was thinking MiHec is a mould maker in the EU. He does stock work I think as well as custom mould work mostly in brass moulds I'm lead to believe. He makes a copy of the HG #68 as mentioned above. They are considered to be among the best here in the states. They run 90-140 Euros to get here but that includes the direct mailing ,they may be considerably less for you.

I like Unique in 9mm,40 S&W,38/357,45 ACP & Colts in ACP if memory serves you should be able to get 15-1700 rounds per lb. It also is good for cast bullets in rifles and substatial shotgun loads. I've loaded it in rifles from 762-39 to 30-06' and many years ago it made a fine game loads in 20-12 gauge shotguns maybe a little much for quail but even large rabbits and swans (Tundras have a season ,2 by tag, in 3 counties of Nv) were taken cleanly. Sadly it won't play nice w/non-toxic shot so it has lost some of its shotgun edge.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

This is what I used on my LC .308 Military brass.

Takes a bit of doing but time is plentiful money is not.
Je suis Charlie
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Good idea, thanks. I'll try to get the RCBS tool cheap, otherwise I try that.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”