Need new scale

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Need new scale

Post by Poppop »

Hi all
I am using the Lee beam scale. Pretty accurate. Problem is I have trouble seeing the numbers and lines to line them up
I don't know whether to buy a beam scale such as Dillon "Eliminator" or RCBS 505 or a digital scale as Uniquetek "Enhanced electronic powder scale" or or the PACT "Digital Precision Powder Scale".
Does anyone have any opinions?
Price, quality and ease of use is important.
I load handgun to plink, no match or competitive shooting
Thanks
:?
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Need new scale

Post by mr surveyor »

If you're loading just plinkers, and getting no where near max loads, I'd suggest making life fast and simple by using Lee dippers. Use the balance scale to find the dipper that fits the "plinker" load, with that particular batch of powder (a good bit of variation can take place from one lot of powder to the next concerning weight/volume ratio), and dip loads. If you decide to load something more precise, the dipper nearest your throw gets you started, then trickle up to the charge weight on the scale. There's a lot of controversy on which is best, but I like the convenience of the digital scale as my eyes have "issues". The Lee Safety Scale does work, but I can't read it well either. Before I gave it to my son, I just used it to very the Lee Dippers, or to build my own special volume dippers from spent brass. A buddy loaned me his spare PACT scale for a couple of years and I felt like I was going to wear it out, so I bought a RCBS 750 RangeMaster .... which I'd bet is made by PACT as it's nearly identical in every way. Most of my attention lately has been working up .44 mag loads and .30-30 loads so the 750 gets used a lot. Still, for my handgun plinking loads, I use the Lee dippers.

JD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

Thanks for the quick reply.
I guess I should have mentioned that I use the Lee Turret Press so that the dippers would be defeating the purpose of the turret. I think your idea of a digital scale makes sense for older eyes and I still can use the Lee beam scale for a back up and checking the digital's accuracy.
Do you know anything about either of the digitals that I mentioned ?
Thanks again
:? :? :?
MAGA
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

I have several beam scales, & like them all but, my eye's are also on the down hill slide. The digital's are the ticket for bad eye's. & with the repeatable accuracy that they have now is just super to what they used to be.
Given all precaution are taken to insure proper operation of the digital scale like, fluorescent lighting, elect/mag fields Etc Etc. Well know & accepted problems that are easy to avoid.
Good luck & keep us posted.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

Any recommendations---keeping it around $100?
:?
MAGA
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

It takes me less than a minute to restart and re-calibrate my RCBS scale with bot check weights, so it gets turned off-on and recalibrated a lot.... and always repeats the original drops.

And to answer Poppop's question, I think, ...... I am somewhat familiar with the PACT line of scales, and I believe they are top shelf tools for the reloader's needs.

Even though technology has come a long way in the last 20-30 years regarding electronics (I deal with quite a bit of techno-electronic stuff, unfortunately), I still insist on having some type of redundant checks on my powder handling. If I were using a turret or progressive press, rather than single stage, I would still want some way to verify that my check scale was being consistent. The check weights are good, but an object closer to a powder charge that's been verified on a balance beam scale can also be dropped onto a digi scale occasionally to give you the warm and fuzzy feeling that every thing is still good with the world.

Redundancy is a good thing, especially when you practice it repeatedly over and over again :D

JD

p.s. The RCBS 750 is around the "price range"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

I think I'll make a field trip to Cabelas tomorrow
Thanks you all for your help
MAGA
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

This is what I use for my powder weighting needs. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512 ... uctFinding

Great for old eyes too. Not as fancy as some but works good for verifying every fifth round and setup.
Je suis Charlie
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

I use that one too. But if you're working with a turret press I guess the dippers would be ideal! They are actually a very accurate way of measuring powder (all dispensers except tricklers work the same way), and the advantage of the turret is, that it's not as slow as a single stage. When you put a funnel in your powder through expander, you can very easily fill in powder very quick with the dippers.

Of you don't trust the dippers, throw a couple of charges on a scale! I did, and it was always within 0.1 grain. And one more advantage of the dippers: they never go out of adjustment unnoticed.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

I eliminated scales that do not accept 120v-I don't want to rely on batteries-I usually squeeze the battery life and this is too serious for that. I am also too lazy to use dippers for each load.
I will probably get the RCBS 750 this week when I get to Cabelas.
I'll let you guys know what I got and my thoughts on it

62 chevy: I once owned a '62 chevy bel-air sports coupe- no centerpost. Very rare, but in my youth I didn't realize it and sold it.
MAGA

Return to “Handgun Reloading”