500 S&W Magnum

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
ddgrfn38
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: 500 S&W Magnum

Post by ddgrfn38 »

akuser47 wrote:To use smokeless in that fashion is way more complicated than most think. I would not suggest it. By the time you make a detonater and case to use smokeless in it is already not worth it. Stick to tannerite formulas easy and in the grey area of the law can be made easy.
akuser47

I kinda figured it would not be an easy task, just hate to see that powder go to waste. I guess I was just trying to repurpose it.

Thanks for the input.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I use old powders like that in my survival kits for fire starter I mix in sawdust and pitch mix it with the powders it is like a tar and starts fires easy in almost any situation. Please keep in mind the mix for my fire tar is like sawdust 3 to 1, powders 2 to 1 of the pine tar/ pitch. I am in no way suggesting packing powder in your bushwack pack. Sorry if i came off negative I was trying to save you the trouble is all.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ddgrfn38
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by ddgrfn38 »

akuser47 wrote:I use old powders like that in my survival kits for fire starter I mix in sawdust and pitch mix it with the powders it is like a tar and starts fires easy in almost any situation. Please keep in mind the mix for my fire tar is like sawdust 3 to 1, powders 2 to 1 of the pine tar/ pitch. I am in no way suggesting packing powder in your bushwack pack. Sorry if i came off negative I was trying to save you the trouble is all.
No need for apologies, I'm a straight shooter (pun intended) and like when people don't sugar coat things for me. Thank you for your recipe for the fire starter. I'm going to mixup a batch and try it out. I currently use cotton balls with petroleum jelly but it never hurts to have options.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

The only reason I say punch out the primers is not knowing what they are you might use a powder that demands a magnum or not. I've not loaded any .500 but I know I actually get better results with 2400 with a regular rather than magnum primer while H110 demands a magnum primer. Heck, I messed up once and loaded AA #9 with regular primers and they wouldn't even start the powder.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I use a good bit of Accurate #9 in both .357 and .44 mag and have never used, or even considered using magnum primers. Never had an issue with ignition. Am I missing something?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I have no idea. I was getting them half off and half on igniting the powder and accuracy was crap. These were .357 magnum loads with Winchester regular primers. As soon as I saw in the AA manual that I was supposed to be using magnum primers I pulled the bullets and swapped cases for fresh magnum primers and loaded everything back up again. The next range testing everything went bang with the first trigger pull and with much more gusto. I believe the Win large primers are rated to be used with both standard and magnum so I'm not sure how that works out as I've not tried that combo yet.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”