Pistol powder making a comeback!

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
wscywabbit
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Pistol powder making a comeback!

Post by wscywabbit »

So I've been getting supplies rounded up so I can begin loading soon. Primers were easy to find, and although bullets were hit or miss for 40 SW, I ordered them online in bulk from Berry's Manufacturing with no issues. Powder, however has been an absolute pain to find! There's not many places locally that supply reloaders, and I made several trips over the last few months to see if they had ANY pistol powder in stock... to no avail. Most everybody had some limited rifle, and the only pistol they MIGHT have was for large caliber handguns.

I was just about resigned to ordering from Gun Broker, but was not looking forward to the high auction prices and shipping with hazmat charges... I was gonna have to order 8# bottles just to make it cost effective per round!

Luckily, before I pulled the trigger, I made one last run to a shop about an hour away that has a pretty good stock of reloading supplies, and was ECSTATIC to find that they had pistol powder on the shelves! I talked to the clerk, and he said that they were finally starting to see some trickle through in spurts and that they haven't advertised the fact to give their regulars a jump on it....

How are shelf stocks fairing where you're at?
In God and guns we trust; it's an American tradition!
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Pistol powder making a comeback!

Post by Fyodor »

When I wanted to buy trailboss powder in December, I got told the next delivery will be in April, but it's not guaranteed that this powder will be in it. So I called several dealers, and found one that actually had 10 cans left, about one and a half hours drive away. So I went there and picked up four cans (because of restrictions in Germany I can't store more).

No other store within two hours distance has that powder on stock, and mail ordering powder is not possible in Germany.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Hit or miss in my area but usually can get it at gun shows if you go on Saturday and one of the first in the door. Got to be quick or you will lose out. Primers are the same here.
Je suis Charlie
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

It's all still hit and miss with powder. For a hot minute I was seeing magnum pistol powders around in H110, AA #9, and a few more and now I'm not seeing them anymore. Regular pistol powder is still buy it when you see it or you go without for who knows how long. The only thing I see in volume on a regular is larger caliber rifle and magnum rifle powders. But small bore rifle and most all pistol powders continue over a year now to be hard to get.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”