45 ACP out of Spec

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

45 ACP out of Spec

Post by killian6pk »

I reloaded about 100 45 ACP maybe 2-3 years ago and forgot about them (old age). I found them yesterday and started checking them to make sure they were ok (spec wise). Mainly because I had loaded them when I first got started with reloading. I got out my calipers and most of them were over the 1.275 max oal. Can I just seat them a little further in the case (worried about the primers)? They do not need a lot of additional seating.
wilecoyote
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: 45 ACP out of Spec

Post by wilecoyote »

... if it were my stuff I would do it without any problem.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Make sure you remove primer stem/seater on press if so equipped. Other than that not much to worry about especially as you note it is only a small amount needed.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

before you start screwing with them see if they will properly fit your pistol's magazine. If so, see if they will cycle in the gun.

Some guns are different.

jd

ETA: forgot to mention the number 1 test - remove the barrel from the gun and use it for a cartridge test gage ... the "plunk test! If they will drop into the barrel and properly headspace on the case mouth (you can tell when they do), and they will cycle through the action, you're probably good to go.

It's always been my understanding that a little long in oal isn't going to create "mini-bombs", so I wouldn't sweat that. The concern is cycling and proper headspacing.

just my rookie opinions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Exactly. Check fit in magazine then chamber. Pass both tests then shoot as is.

Not sure what stem to remove in the suggestions above. There's no difference running those through again than when they went through the dies the first time if all you're doing is the last step...especially on a non-roll crimp AUTO round.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

As usual I posted this question while in a hurry. I left out the most important part. When I checked the rounds in a cartridge gauge Most of them will not fall flush they stick out about 1/4 to 3/8" out of the gauge. This probably means I did not run the cases through the sizing die or did not have it properly adjusted. So now I am faced with pulling the bullets and powder and running the cases back through the die with the primers in them. Is this going to cause a big boom. I plan on taking the deprimeing rod out before doing this of course. Then I can put powder and bullets in them and seat them to the correct depth.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Yes, to all of the above. Pull them down, save the powder and bullets, take the deprime rod out of the sizing die, resize and reload. I've had to do it a few times for various reson.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks guys, figured that was what needed to be done.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I'd plunk test them in the barrel of the intended gun. (I have no use for "cartridge gauges"). If they plunk OK, shoot 'em...
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

I'll try that. I believe after taking a few of these apart and resizing and seating (without powder) to set up my dies, that what happened was these were never taper crimped. When I checked the dummies I made they also would not fit into the gauge. I was under the impression that you did not need to crimp .45 and 9's. Was I wrong?

Return to “Handgun Reloading”