First Timer

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
HVFDFirefighter
My Press Choice: Turret

First Timer

Post by HVFDFirefighter »

Hello. I am new to reloading. I just purchased my first 2 presses. They are a Lee Breech Lock Reloader Single Stage Press (mainly for swaging and maybe trimming) and the Lee Classic Cast 4 Hole Turret Press. I will be starting my reloading endeavor with .223. I am waiting for all equipment to be shipped. A buddy wants me to reload 38 Smith and Wesson. He has the brass. I need to get the bullets. This is kinda premature as I do not even have the book yet. A quick look around on internet says bullets should be .357”? But others say .360”? Like I said, I am new to all of this. My equipment should arrive this week, once I get the book, maybe things will be clearer. Just trying to get a head start. All help is greatly appreciated. I am sure I will have many questions once I get started! Stay safe!
HVFDFirefighter

Re: First Timer

Next question: So .223 is exactly the same case and bullet as a 5.56? The difference is the amount of powder put in each case? Are the primers the same? Do primers need to be crimped? If so, can I crimp? Or is that not possible. I know I have mixed brass, some with crimp some without so I bought the Lee Ram Swage Die to run them through.

I know a rifle labeled as .223 will not fire 5.56 ammo but a rifle labeled 5.56 can also shoot .223.

Thank you for the help. Stay safe!
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

First off welcome to the forum.

Reloading for other people can get you into trouble as it is a liability issue. If you reload for others, especially for commercial gain, you will need a license and insurance.

The 38 S&W runs a .357 jacketed bullet or a .358 - .360 cast bullet depending on your barrel and chambers.

The brass for .223 and 5.56 are essentially the same. Some people will run a specific primer for the AR style rifle. I normally run "regular" primers. The pressure difference between the two are not that much. The .223 chamber is slightly smaller than the 5.56. The 5.56 is bigger to accommodate ammo that might be lightly different depending on what country and their tolerances they hold their ammo to. I have a .223 that has consumed A LOT of 5.56 ammo without a glitch or hangup.

You don't need to crimp your primers.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I'd suggest a bit more study on basics; The ABCs Of Reloading is a good start. Chapters on basic reloading, equipment used, component desriptions, shotgun reloading and casting. Lots of good, basic info for the newer reloader. Get load data from your published manuals or at least from powder and bullet manufacturer's web sites, not from any forum, range rat, gun counter clerk or gunshop guru...

The 38 S&W is a different cartridge than the 38 Special. Nominal 38 Special bullet diameter is .357" and the 38 S&W is .361" and case dimensions differ too. Components not interchangable... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_S%26W

Go slow. Double check everything. Most important, have fun...
HVFDFirefighter

Thanks for the info. There are two Books: The ABCs of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert author is James. The other is The ABC's of Reloading, 10th Edition, author Massaro. Which one is better?
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Welcome !

Good questions .

38 Short/Colts NP/38-200/S&W is a different cartridge that 38 Special or S&W Special . Yes books use all of those names for the short one . It is a victim of the "we want the cartridge we just don't want that name on our guns" era . .360-361 dia .

223/556 .......
Every time I read up on this they can't decide if the 223 or the 556 is loaded hotter or why ....

10 years ago it was that the NATO 556 had thick necks and smaller case capacity due to thicker cases . Then it was identical cases with CIP and NATO limits being higher than US .
Further complications chambers are cut in ;
223 Rem
223 Rem match
556 NATO
223 Wylde
Basically these differ in neck dia and leade length .

Sort your brass by head stamp .
At a minimum sort 223 from 556 .
Work a load for each .
CCI 450 work fine , however #41s are recommended to prevent slam fires in gas guns . The #41 has a harder cup .
Load data will be the same but cases vary widely per source odds are against a middle load in a small case being dangerously high pressure but the higher you go the more likely it gets .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum!
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Welcome. I have the C. Rodney James book. It is a good place to start. The Lee second edition is also a good reference. When you have a question on cartridge or chamber specs here is the go to reference.

https://saami.org/technical-information ... standards/.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I will also recommend the Lyman manual the first section is a goldmine of material for old and new reloaders alike.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Handgun Reloading”