Now What???

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Now What???

Post by horseman »

mikld wrote:All my 9mm pistols feed mixed brass 100%. My 4 pistols are not "Bullseye Match" quality and accuracy, while good isn't exceptional. The variations from headstamp to headstamp as for load performance are so small as to make no difference with my loads. While I may sort brass by headstamp I can see no difference in performance in either my cast or jacketed bullet handloads. But a lot of my sorting is a combination of OCD and boredom. When I'm working up a load I use sorted brass, sorted bullets (weight and diameter consistency) use one mfg primer, and weigh every charge. When I find a promising load I may tweek the charge up or down until I feel I have found "The Load". After that I normally loosen my "standards" and may use mixed brass, different primers, and loosen charge tolerance to +/- .2 gr. Works for me.

But if you want to weigh 9mm brass and process it to "match" quality, no big deal, just do it!

Exactly.....as said above. If you can "shoot the difference" between head stamps you're already way ahead of the curve. And you would probably need a pistol built for the purpose. Off the shelf type's probably won't do it. I've chased that rabbit, but I'm not good enough to see much difference. If any.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Now What???

Post by larryw »

horseman wrote:
mikld wrote:All my 9mm pistols feed mixed brass 100%. My 4 pistols are not "Bullseye Match" quality and accuracy, while good isn't exceptional. The variations from headstamp to headstamp as for load performance are so small as to make no difference with my loads. While I may sort brass by headstamp I can see no difference in performance in either my cast or jacketed bullet handloads. But a lot of my sorting is a combination of OCD and boredom. When I'm working up a load I use sorted brass, sorted bullets (weight and diameter consistency) use one mfg primer, and weigh every charge. When I find a promising load I may tweek the charge up or down until I feel I have found "The Load". After that I normally loosen my "standards" and may use mixed brass, different primers, and loosen charge tolerance to +/- .2 gr. Works for me.

But if you want to weigh 9mm brass and process it to "match" quality, no big deal, just do it!

Exactly.....as said above. If you can "shoot the difference" between head stamps you're already way ahead of the curve. And you would probably need a pistol built for the purpose. Off the shelf type's probably won't do it. I've chased that rabbit, but I'm not good enough to see much difference. If any.
Unfortunately, that rabbit will never be caught with a stock production gun!!
I remember all the sometimes happy, sometimes aggravated, sometimes flat %@*&$ off phone calls. :)
I'm sort of like Mikld, sorted, fully prepped, weighed, measured , same components.
After I get the load, mixed brass all the way in 9, 38spec, 45acp beer can blasters.
Hunting loads in .357, 44mag back to sorted & matched.
S/D carry ammo, home defense ammo, factory all the way.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Handgun Reloading”