What do you think of my 9mm load Data

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: What do you think of my 9mm load Data

Post by larryw »

Case heads & primer condition are not real good indicators of pressure in a normal caliber hand gun.
About the only way we know for sure where we are at with a handgun is a chronograph, coupled
with published, established, load data, experience with the feel & sound of the shot.
Don't put very much stock in reading primer on handgun.. My .357mag & 44mag hot & heavy earth shakers stoked up with a heavy charge of 110, will wreck havoc on primers although they are absolutely
safe load pressure wise in my firearm. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying discount reading primer
completely, I'm just telling you they can be very deceiving.
Best advice I can give is keep doing what your doing, stay within established data, when you can find it, try
different powder / bullet combos. To recap, About the only pressure sign your gonna see in a self stuffer is
beat up brass, report & recoil may or may not change, your brass suddenly going somewhere it used to didn't !!!
Revolvers, Report & recoil are usually different by enough that you know somethings going south. Hard extraction is pretty much it just before a split case (no biggie, if it's older brass) or case head separation, that's the bad boy.
Enjoy & keep us posted Take care & be safe...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
sonic306090
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by sonic306090 »

I went shooting today with my wife, All my reloads shot great! We were lucky enough to purchase 6 boxes of Magtech 9mm Ammo, putting that in our stockpile. Now I have some of our picked up brass to process next week:)Question about the accuracy, I am a terrible shooter, I aim for the target and I am always off to the left. Is this a sign of my reloading not being powerful enough? shooting target from about 15 yards out. I'm still trying to understand Velocity and pressure and all that Chrono stuff.
Thank you for any advice!
Mark 9mm
larryw

Post by larryw »

More than likely a grip / trigger control problem ??
What's that shooting left look like at closer ranges,
Say, 15 to 25 feet, living room, range ?

Chronograph ? Measuring your velocities is about the only way to estimate pressure
When your even getting close to published "Max" load data velocity, pretty much time to
back off a smidge & call it good. At least & until you gain way more experience.
Remember always, A 9mm IS a high pressure round with some very, narrow
charge windows.
sonic306090

Post by sonic306090 »

Your right, I have to learn to hold the gun Firm & use that trigger finger under control.
I'm shooting with my Walther Creed 9mm. We go to the range every 2 weeks for the last 6 months.
Mark 9mm
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Left or right handed? That matters on diagnosing what is happening.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
sonic306090

Post by sonic306090 »

I am supposed to grip the gun with my left hand and pull the trigger with my right hand, I close my left eye to aim with my right eye.
Mark 9mm
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

First, are you truly right eye dominate? I'm often surprised at the number of people who do everything right handed and find out their left eye is dominate. My late wife was right handed and left eye dominate and once she got that sorted out she became a AAA shooter in handgun silhouette and she was a much better shot than I am.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
sonic306090

Post by sonic306090 »

I think your Right! I think that is the problem with my shooting being so far off. I did this eye Test I found online and found out I am left eye Dominate But I have to learn/practice to close my right eye. FYI, I Bat Left Handed but I do everything else Right handed, I'm all screwed up:).
But thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will wear a patch on my right eye while shooting next week.
I'll keep you updated.
Mark 9mm
larryw

Post by larryw »

Yup, I also bat & swing a golf club left handed, everything else is right.
No eye dominance problem but, I've always shot both eyes open. Ever try it ?a
I highly recommend it.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

sonic306090 wrote:I think your Right! I think that is the problem with my shooting being so far off. I did this eye Test I found online and found out I am left eye Dominate But I have to learn/practice to close my right eye. FYI, I Bat Left Handed but I do everything else Right handed, I'm all screwed up:).
But thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will wear a patch on my right eye while shooting next week.
I'll keep you updated.

You don't have to wear a patch over you right eye. If you shoot right handed and are left eye dominant (fairly common) just close your left eye. Or put that patch on your left eye, which ever works. Either the patch or closing your left eye will make you right eye dominant. :lol:

Return to “Handgun Reloading”