What do you think of my 9mm load Data

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
sonic306090
My Press Choice: Turret

What do you think of my 9mm load Data

Post by sonic306090 »

Hello,

I've been reloading for a couple of months on my Lee Value Turret Press with the Lee Auto powder Drum

I am loading for 9mm

1) Mixed Wet cleaned Brass
2) CCI 500 Primers
3) CFE Pistol Powder
4) Xtreme 124 Gran HP Copper Plated Bullets

My Recipe

5.1 Grains of CFE Pistol/ OAL 1.080

My Question: Is this a good formula? Is 1.080 aa safe OAL?
Thank you for any advice!
Mark 9mm
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: What do you think of my 9mm load Data

Post by RBHarter »

As long as it's what you worked up in your gun .

Autos first and foremost have to cycle clean no tail to feed , no short strokes and stove pipes .
Second is little groups .
If that works out then imparted energy to the target can have a shot at it .
At least that's my method and it has so far done right by me .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Where did you get your data? 5.1 is max for a 125 gr jacketed and 5.5 is max for a plated 124 gr RN. I have always used cast lead data for all plated bullets I've tried and always began a load work up with manual starting loads...
sonic306090

Post by sonic306090 »

I have a Lee Manual and a Hogdson updated reloading magazine, I also went online to look for data.
I determined that the best starting load was 4.9 grains of CFE Pistol and 5.5 was the max load.
Then it being an HP so it's shorter than an RN, I went online and found 1 article that read " Xtreme 124 Grain Hp Copper Plated Bullets recommend an OAL of 1.060, So I determined to be safe and do my OAL 1.075.
I shot a few and they worked. In the beginning, I did go down to 4.7 grains of CFE Pistol and the shots seemed weak. I did an OAL of 1.135 and the bullet broke apart in the chamber. Luckily, nothing bad happened!
Mark 9mm
SWBuckeye
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by SWBuckeye »

I know Xtreme has a reloading manual for their projectiles for $5 ( https://www.xtremebullets.com/category-s/50195.htm). I do not know if CFE-P is listed in their manual but if it is'nt then use Win Autocomp as a guide. Autocomp has a very similar burn rate as CFE-P and is popular with competition shooters. On my burn rate chart Autocomp is #41 and CFE-P is #42 with lower #'s being faster burning. I use CFE-P but don't use plated HP projectiles. I prefer 124gr. flat nose coated for target and 124gr. FMJ HP's for self defense. Hope this helps! :)

SWBuckeye
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Be very careful using burn rate charts to compare powders in all loads but particularly in high pressure loads like 9mm.

Make smoke, not shrapnel,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
SWBuckeye
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by SWBuckeye »

Very true Ohio3wheel on the charge data. I was'nt very clear in my reply but my thoughts were on OAL to get him close with plated HP.

SWBuckeye
sonic306090

Post by sonic306090 »

I just bought the Xtreme Load Data Manual for $5.00 online. It seems to have a lot of reloading information.
it's 48 pages long. I did confirm that the OAL for 124 Gr HP's is recommended at 1.060 with certain brands of powder. I think that staying at 5.1 of CFE-P is OK but I will do a little more research as recommended in all these replies. Thank you Everyone for helping this Newbie out!
Mark 9mm
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Sonic, your doing OK !!! By that I mean, Your climbing in, your researching, your asking questions.
I've got a feeling your gonna be just fine as a handloader.
I would however caution against diving right in to Max loads, or the development of over max loads until you have way, way more experience & knowledge on internal & external ballistics. add pressure & velocity test equipment & expertise to use it.
Just remember, Once you start noticing signs of high pressure, you are already
WELL into the danger area pressure wise &, for things like 9mm, a HIGH PRESSURE round, about all your going to see before a catastrophic event, large or small, is your brass beat up &/or thrown into the next county. Take care & be safe
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
sonic306090

Post by sonic306090 »

I really appreciate that Larry!

I don't plan on going near the max load of 5.5-5.6 Gr. I, Just staying at the lower end of 4.9 -5.1 Gr. with
CFE-P.

What are good signs of 9mm High Pressure? I've been looking at my shot primers for the "Crater" and the "Halo" or the roundness of the edge of the shot primers. Is there anything else that I would see signs of high pressure? Reloading is the hobby I have been looking for! love it.

Funny, That's my Credo as well, my wife always tells me that I'm a day late and a dollar short:0 Keep Healthy!
Mark 9mm

Return to “Handgun Reloading”