Lee Powder Through Die Expansion

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Lee Powder Through Die Expansion

Post by killian6pk »

I am having a lot of difficulty on my Load Master. I have the Powder Through die in station 2 behind my resizing die (in 1) when I run a 45 acp case through I am getting a lot of resistance when pulling the case back out of the die. I am loading .451 (round nose Berry's and Hornady XTP) the case mouth is expanded to .4495 a tad below the mouth and .450 at the rim. The bullets both go in easily, but can't be pushed in by hand more than maybe 1/8". Should I be using lube? I did not think you had to lube pistol cases. I did try 1 case with some sizing wax, and it was easier to get out of the expander die. The case was going in and out of the resizing die smoothly before lube. Is the hangup most likely on the outside of the case or the inside where it is being flared?

Just to clarify about the setup. I use a universal decapping die in a single stage then prime off press with a hand primer after cleaning. I then load them into a Lee case feeder and after the powder drop have a Hornady bullet feeder die and tube setup, then a Lee seating die and last a Lee crimp die. All the dies except the Hornady of course came out of the same Lee 4 die set.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Lee Powder Through Die Expansion

Post by mr surveyor »

what brand of brass are you using? In my experience, it makes quite a difference due to the varying thickness of different makes of brass.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Howdy 6pk, that resistance, or thump, jerk, rattle is supposed to be there. It's part of the design of the
PTE Die, to make sure all the powder pieces are shaken down into the case. Some folks find it very bothersome,
& do a little.polishing on the expander plug. However, most smooth out nicely with use.
As far as case lube for expanding, I would caution against it!! Some lubes will contaminate
A powder charge to the point of a squib (no powder burn) primer ignition will push your bullet
part way down the barrel. "Squib." Now you have an obstructed tube, please don't fire another round!!!!
Best of luck take care & be safe...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

mr surveyor wrote:what brand of brass are you using? In my experience, it makes quite a difference due to the varying thickness of different makes of brass.

jd
Most of the brass is Hornady with some Federal.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

larryw wrote:Howdy 6pk, that resistance, or thump, jerk, rattle is supposed to be there. It's part of the design of the
PTE Die, to make sure all the powder pieces are shaken down into the case. Some folks find it very bothersome,
& do a little.polishing on the expander plug. However, most smooth out nicely with use.
As far as case lube for expanding, I would caution against it!! Some lubes will contaminate
A powder charge to the point of a squib (no powder burn) primer ignition will push your bullet
part way down the barrel. "Squib." Now you have an obstructed tube, please don't fire another round!!!!
Best of luck take care & be safe...
That is what I was worried about with the lube. I will keep using it, and maybe it will smooth out a little more.
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

6pk, that's a wise choice. Also, remember when your shooting, anything "ANYTHING" out of the ordinary,
Strange, weird, funny,, STOP!!! Find out what's wrong, if anything!! & always make sure your tube is clear.
If not "squib" just take the heavy dowel (mines a brass rod) & small hammer that should be in your
shooting bag & tap the slug out, reload & continue.. Take care & be safe...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I have experienced the "removal grinding" for nearly all my Lee expanding/powder through dies, enough that I don't notice it anymore. The only problem I have ever had with any Lee die is the expander portion of my 45 ACP power through die is too short and ends in a "ledge". It works well for jacketed bullets but I like/need a bit more flare for my cast or PCed bullets.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”