Undersized 9mm tube ???

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Undersized 9mm tube ???

Post by larryw »

Greetings all, anyone ever slug a 9mm barrel (semi auto) & have it come out at .352 ???
Had a bunch at .355 & a bit larger but, never anything that small??
It's an old 9, an old S&W, SW9V. Not marked Sigma, not marked anything but SW9V.
I have been told this is the one that got them in trouble with Glock ???
Any info greatly appreciated, im stumped ???
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Undersized 9mm tube ???

Post by Macd »

That would be .003 under minimum C.I.P./SAAMI spec. Bit tight I would think.
larryw

Post by larryw »

Macd wrote:That would be .003 under minimum C.I.P./SAAMI spec. Bit tight I would think.
Yea Mac, just a bit.. I used 3 different mics & 3 calipers, all the same?? Only problem I thought of was
I couldn't find my Cerosafe, so I used 2 plated bullets & 3 lead boolits cast from wheel weight,
didn't have any dead soft lead plugs cast up. Anyway, that's all I could think of???
Got started down this rabbit hole wondering if I could size down some .357 diam plated bullets
to run in the 9 then realized, I never slugged this old girl. Gotta find my cerosafe or smelt down a
sheet of old roof flashing I been holding on to. That tube CAN'T be that tight, shoots to good..
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Pure lead fishing sinkers or stick-on wheel weights work. I never liked slugging a barrel I always worried about getting the slug stuck. Last time I did one I used a slug just over the bore size, greased liberally, stuck a wood dowel up the barrel, tapped the slug down to meet it and used a brass drift and hammer to squat the slug into the grooves then drove it out of the barrel with the dowel. It didn't work that well. Maybe if I had used a steel rather than wood dowel.

Good luck.
larryw

Post by larryw »

I'll find some soft stuff this week if I don't find my Cerosafe.
I have several brass rods, different lengths & diameters I've used
for years. Oil the bore & slug really good & knock it through.
Or, pour full of Cero, let it cool a bit, tap it out & measure.
Never had a problem slugging a bore until now ???
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I had a 45 Colts barrel that's only .450 and had an 06 that was choked at the muzzle down to .300 . I was able to fire lap it , it was also choked at the roll marks and sight dovetail , that opened it up to .302 . It made a huge difference in the target performance and little to the load choice . I think it's likely your numbers are close but it's likely a choke someplace not a full length thing . 36 cal C&B RB @.375-380 is your best bet for a shelf slug if you can't get a suitable egg or split shot sinker .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
larryw

Post by larryw »

Thanks RB. I just can't figure it?? The old girl shoots so good, very accurate, doesn't toss the brass
into the next county, no bad sign on the brass ???? One thing for sure, running those .357 dia plated
thought it is no longer an option ????
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I have slugged the barrels of 98% of my centerfires. I have used soft cast bullets, sinkers and "case poured slugs" (pour some softer lead in a case of the same caliber as the gun, removed slug with an impact puller and have a good size, tapered slug). The hardest I've used is Lyman #2 for slugging a 44 Magnum revolver, but only on one occasion. One thing I usually do is run 3 or 4 slugs through to get a better sample of what the bbl is like. I normally roll the slug in Mink Oil Boot Dressing Cream, (my case lube that lives on the bench) and squirt some gun lube down the barrel, use a brass rod and have never damaged a barrel or stuck a slug.

Of my 4, 9mm pistols 2 run .356" groove diameter, one is .357"+ (!), and my latest has a poly rifled barrel that seems to be .355"-.356". I'd run a few more down the barrel to double check as .352" is way undersize, perhaps a choke somewhere?
larryw

Post by larryw »

Yup Mikld, that's what I'm thinking, a choke down somewhere?? No roll stamps, no nothing ??
Gonna slug it from both ends, just a bit at a time & see what I come up with. If there is a restriction,
it's gonna almost have to be at the muzzle, this old piece is dead nuts accurate?? No fouling of
any kind that I can find with my scope ?? Good thing I got those plated .357 in a trade & decided
to see if they would work in my 9 otherwise, I most likely would have just kept shooting ball in it
& would not have remembered I never slugged her?? Also, with the state of everything now &
component shortage, I see a ton of casting in my future!!!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

larryw wrote: Also, with the state of everything now & component shortage, I see a ton of casting in my future!!!
THIS is why I started reloading then casting a few shortages ago but I took it a step further and stayed stocked up on OEM ammo as well. In the slow times when the parts, assemblies, and components are cheap - - - people "get out of" reloading and sell partial lots for next to nothing and that is where I get most of my powder, primers, and jacketed or coated bullets I don't ever use...yet. Today while re-organizing I found some LPMs I'll never use, some desirable to someone else .224" FANCY bullets, some plated tapered flat nose .356", etc. but since each is worth little in small quantities even with democratic-pandemic pricing tripling their worth, I'll jsut keep them. Same goes for larger capacity magazines new in package, etc. I worked too hard to get them to make a buck selling...for now.

Since the BENT BARREL topic has been resolved I see no reason you can't find the choke in your barrel and come up with a viable solution. Guess I should make a topic on my home made chamber hone for a new build AR I sold that wouldn't operate properly due to a very tight chamber cut.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”