Planned 9 mm powder coated lead ladder test

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Planned 9 mm powder coated lead ladder test

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

I've loaded 45 ACP 357 Magnum 38 Special but I've never loaded 9 mm before. . I've decided to put together a ladder test for the 9 mm to develop my load.

Since I want this to be consistent I'm going to use all new Starline brass which I have on hand. . CCI small pistol primers will be utilized. . Unique Powder and powder coated 124 grain 9 mm bullets from Bayou bullets in Louisiana.

I'm going to use an overall length of 1.055

5 rounds starting at 4.0 grain 5 more rounds at 4.2 5 rounds at 4.6 5 rounds at 4.8 and 5 rounds at 5.0.

The goal is to create a target load that functions in my 3.3 in XDS my Sig 938 and my 9 mm 1911.

It doesn't have to be perfectly accurate in all three just adequate for range use

Any thoughts are appreciated
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
eaglemike

Re: Planned 9 mm powder coated lead ladder test

Post by eaglemike »

Depending on the bullet profile, the same OAL might or might not work in all of those. Since you've loaded before, you likely know that. There's pretty good sized differences in the pistols you are loading for.
9mm pressures will vary a fair bit depending on length too.
Good luck!
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

eaglemike wrote:Depending on the bullet profile, the same OAL might or might not work in all of those. Since you've loaded before, you likely know that. There's pretty good sized differences in the pistols you are loading for.
Good luck!
Yep I understand. . The overall length I figured from my Sig p938 which has the shortest stroke and Barrel all three pistols. . Very little difference between the 938 and the Springfield XDS so I don't anticipate a lot of difference in performance there. . The 1911 I'm expecting do not perform as well with this load but if it is acceptable range work I'll be satisfied
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

eaglemike wrote:Depending on the bullet profile, the same OAL might or might not work in all of those. Since you've loaded before, you likely know that. There's pretty good sized differences in the pistols you are loading for.
Good luck!
Yep I understand. . The overall length I figured from my Sig p938 which has the shortest stroke and Barrel all three pistols. . Very little difference between the 938 and the Springfield XDS so I don't anticipate a lot of difference in performance there. . The 1911 I'm expecting do not perform as well with this load but if it is acceptable range work I'll be satisfied
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

When I did this for 9X19 I did the opposite. I found the OAL the gun liked best then tried a few charges.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

I think I'm going to take a case unprimed resize and flare it heavy and then place a bullet in it and push it into the barrel till it's fully seated which will mean the bullet is in the rifling and when I remove it will be too long but will give me a starting point and then I just need to figure out how far I should seat from there I guess using a plunk test. . I have to think about this for a moment or two
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Lyman makes a case gauge that covers most pistol calibers and quite often magazine dimensions will control OAL. If you flair too much the case may not fit all the way in the chamber. I started loading in '67 to keep a newly acquired Brown Hi-power fed. In among many other I still load for 9mm keeping the Hi-power, a Sig938 and a Star Firestar happy and well fed. Fortunately they all work well with one OAL.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Lyman makes a case gauge that covers most pistol calibers and quite often magazine dimensions will control OAL. If you flair too much the case may not fit all the way in the chamber. I started loading in '67 to keep a newly acquired Brown Hi-power fed. In among many other I still load for 9mm keeping the Hi-power, a Sig938 and a Star Firestar happy and well fed. Fortunately they all work well with one OAL.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
I actually have the Lyman Case gauge. I had to Browning High powers when was 40 cal and one was a nine millimeter I ended up selling them to pay for a divorce but at least I kept the dog I really do miss those.

I'm thinking I'm going to change my starting oal to 1.100. . Unique is a bulky powder hand in measuring Factory rounds that work well in my pistols they are all significantly longer than what I planned. . I understand bullet profile is probably the most significant factor in establishing oal I can always adjust the die after I run a few rounds just to see
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

My P95 likes 1.135" so I really don't think 1.1" is "long".
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”