FCD

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

FCD

Post by killian6pk »

The Lee FCD for .223 seems to work really well and is pretty easy to set up. Just the opposite to me is true of the factory crimp dies that come in the pistol die sets. Since I did not know where to put this question and most of you frequent both sections (pistol and rifle reloading) I am asking the question here. Does Lee make the same type of die as the .223 die for pistol calibers?
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: FCD

Post by Macd »

Yes. They apply the correct roll or taper crimp while sizing the complete cartridge. I use on 45 Colt, 38/357 and 9mm. My 9mm S&W M&P9 has a tight tolerance chamber and even a slightly over-spec case will cause failure to fully return to battery. I like a firm crimp on revolver cartridges having had a bad experience with creep. I don't bother for 45ACP as my all metal 1911 doesn't seem to care and I haven't had any problems with bullet setback in this gun. My 45ACP cylinder for my revolver can adsorb a lot of creep before any danger of jamming. Just follow the instructions for setting up. Case length isn't critical.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

If you are talking about a 223 FCD I believe you mean a collet crimp die. Lee does make a few collet crimp dies for hand gun cartridges (I use one for 44 Magnum).

(My hand gun FCD now resides in a land fill somewhere in So. Oregon.)

https://leeprecision.com/lee-collet-style-crimp-die/
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by killian6pk »

mikld wrote:If you are talking about a 223 FCD I believe you mean a collet crimp die. Lee does make a few collet crimp dies for hand gun cartridges (I use one for 44 Magnum).

(My hand gun FCD now resides in a land fill somewhere in So. Oregon.)

https://leeprecision.com/lee-collet-style-crimp-die/
Thanks for the link. I was thinking more for the 9mm and 45acp. But guess I had better learn to use the FCD since it does not look like Lee makes one for those cartridges.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Shame you tossed the FCD . I use one for a 45 ACP as a body sizer for 45 Colts . I've often thought about making an RCBS styled decapper pin for it .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Handgun Reloading”