Bulge in case

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Bulge in case

Post by killian6pk »

I reloaded some 9mm cases the other day and after seating the bullets there was bulge in the case mouth area where the bullet goes into the case. Is this typical? I have attached a photo it is kind of hard to see but in the round nose case I think you can see a line just at the bottom of where the bullet is seated. On the hollow point I think you can see it is flared a little.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Bulge in case

Post by Macd »

Not unusual especially in 9mm with its tapered case. I get it in 45 Colt when I use cast that is a couple of thousands oversize. No problem if they pass the "Plunk test" (Remove barrel, hold vertical and drop round in. It should drop in easily and you can hear the "plunk" when the case mouth hits the rim inside the chamber.) The elasticity of the brass plays a part and you may find this article interesting.

https://bisonballistics.com/articles/ca ... s-analysis
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Bulge in case

Post by killian6pk »

Macd wrote:Not unusual especially in 9mm with its tapered case. I get it in 45 Colt when I use cast that is a couple of thousands oversize. No problem if they pass the "Plunk test" (Remove barrel, hold vertical and drop round in. It should drop in easily and you can hear the "plunk" when the case mouth hits the rim inside the chamber.) The elasticity of the brass plays a part and you may find this article interesting.

https://bisonballistics.com/articles/ca ... s-analysis

I appreciate the article link I will read it and try to understand the info.
Thanks

Return to “Handgun Reloading”