Winchester Primers

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Winchester Primers

Post by killian6pk »

I found some Winchester Large Pistol Primers locally. The box says they are a Large Pistol for Standard or Magnum Loads. I thought these were two separate types of primer?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Winchester Primers

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

killian6pk wrote:I found some Winchester Large Pistol Primers locally. The box says they are a Large Pistol for Standard or Magnum Loads. I thought these were two separate types of primer?
Ordinarily they are but those Winchester work fine for both. I've probably gone through a couple thousand over time without problems.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks that was what I was hoping to hear. Now if I could only find small pistol primers I would be set for a while. Should have bought more a few weeks ago when I found some. I will know better next time.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Small rifle and pistol seem to be short supply.
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Your mileage will vary and some will gripe at me for suggesting but there is so little difference in magnum and regular primers I don't ever look for magnums. Go ahead, find that one powder or load that "needs" them and post it here. Don't worry about it. It's similar to four loading manuals having different advice for the same exact load.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm with GG in my experience. I've been at this a long time now, and have never bought a magnum primer.

Some old guys taught me this, buy components at the POTUS mid-term point. Forecast what you need for four years. At the next mid-point, purchase to maintain your inventory on your forecast for the next four years. The cycle of components is not a new thing, shops have always run low on the election year and are fat at mid-term. If nothing else, the NRA has always done a good job of beating the drum with each election, enough to cause reloaders to buy. Now, the online sources experience the same. I've been doing this since the '72 election and have never run dry since. There was a time that I would have 50K primers on hand at mid-term and 25K on the election year as the supply dried up. My shooting has been slowing down as I get older and it is now like 20K/10K during the points (5K a year). I do the same with rifles, pistols, brass, and powders. With that, I have completely covered the cost of my shooting and never paid a peak price for anything. Just sold some rifles, tools, and components.

I'm only offering the above as the old guy now. Never run short or pay more than something is worth. It comes back.
Michael
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Kaiser »

The only time I have used magnum pistol primers have been when loading .357 rounds with H110 or Win296 powder, per manual instruction. They (company) say this powder, which is suppose to be the same powder in a different container, is hard to get complete ignition without a hotter magnum "plug" - I take their advice. (I've noticed that Alliant, who used to recommend magnum primers for Blue Dot loads, now specifically recommends standard primers for their .357 and .45Colt loads.)

I too have wondered if the primer type in a pistol really has much of an effect on pistol loads where most cases are small, holding relatively small charges of powder. The fact Winchester,at one time, marketed both Large Pistol Primers and Large Rifle primers for "Standard and Magnum" loads is questionable regarding the difference of the two. (As of this late date, Winchester now only offers Standard and Magnum primers as separate items in rifle primers) I've read where there is at least one rifle "scribe" who recommends standard primers on some "magnum" rifle calibers to make their load velocity more consistent.

I really haven't experimented with different types of primers in pistols with a chronograph, but have read a lot of opinions on the subject. I tend to believe that pistol powder is not difficult to light, and any brand and type of powder that will eject the bullet will not be appreciably enhanced by a hotter primer. My opinion and I'm sticking to it (for now!).
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

H110/W296 used to be my favorite .357 powder until I started using 2400 that then eventually became unobtainable and I have moved to LilGun so I've loaded them all and have seen no difference in the primer.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
bayou

Post by bayou »

And on the flip side, I've been using LP mag primers for 45acp since I was able to pick some up before the supply lines shut down. Cannot tell the difference between LP and LP mag in the 1911.

Sure glad I bought a bunch of them...

Bayou52
bayou
NRA Life Member
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

I am glad I found the large pistol Winchesters. I also was able to get 400 small pistol primers the other day just by luck. I found searching all the major suppliers everyday that every once in a while you get lucky.

Another primer question. This one might be far fetched, but I will ask anyway. Is there a difference in small rifle and small pistol or could they be interchangeable? Something I read the other day about another part of reloading made me think of that question.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”