Lee vs Hornady dies - 357 Sig

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
RCWarjet
My Press Choice: Progressive

Lee vs Hornady dies - 357 Sig

Post by RCWarjet »

Only been reloading for a couple months oh, so please forgive my ignorance. I started reloading 357 Sig cartridges oh, and purchased the Hornady die set. I used Hornady Case Lube and although a little more effort what is required then with other calibers for resizing, all the cases fit into the case Checker with ease. I found the Lee set of dies for this caliber on sale for $26, so I thought I would give that a try also. I did the same procedure as with the Hornady set, sprayed the Hornady Case Lube on the cases and let them dry. When I tried... to resize them in the Lee die, the first three cases got stuck in the die. I figured the Lee die didn't care too much for the Hornady Case Lube, so I lubed a different set of cases using the Hornady unique lube and fingers. Worked okay, but required more force to get the cases into the die than the Hornady, but still passed the case check. Any ideas why the difference - is it quality, materials used,.........?
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee vs Hornady dies - 357 Sig

Post by RBHarter »

The Hornady lube seems to be getting a reputation for not being much of a lube . Lots of stuck 223/556 I've seen on line . I'm still an STP roll pad guy so I get a lube dent or 2 but if I get a stuck case it's all on me .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I don't reload 357 Sig, but have compared my Lee dies against my Hornady dies in 9mm, 30-30 and 30-06. On occasion with my handgun brass, and normally with bottle necked cases, I use Mink Oil Boot Dressing Cream as a case lube. I have seen no difference in force needed to FL size any brass between Hornady dies and Lee dies...

BTW; the 357 Sig is looking gooder and gooder to me. I've been noticing threads about the cartridge and watched a couple Paul Herrell videos on it and that old itch for a new toy in a new cartridge is starting up again... :roll:
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

mikld wrote:I don't reload 357 Sig, but have compared my Lee dies against my Hornady dies in 9mm, 30-30 and 30-06. On occasion with my handgun brass, and normally with bottle necked cases, I use Mink Oil Boot Dressing Cream as a case lube. I have seen no difference in force needed to FL size any brass between Hornady dies and Lee dies...

BTW; the 357 Sig is looking gooder and gooder to me. I've been noticing threads about the cartridge and watched a couple Paul Herrell videos on it and that old itch for a new toy in a new cartridge is starting up again... :roll:
My 357 Sig dies are Redding and I don't notice them needing a lot of effort to resize using Imperial.

You're right the 357 Sig is fun. I have a H&K that was Linda's except for chasing brass it's a lot of fun and fairly easy to carry.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Handgun Reloading”