First Cartridges

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: First Cartridges

Post by GasGuzzler »

You can't compare two sources of loading information on only three parameters such as OAL, bullet weight and powder/charge. This is one reason I don't fall into the "only do exactly what a manual says" hub-ub many cry on the internet...the manuals don't even agree.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by killian6pk »

GasGuzzler wrote:You can't compare two sources of loading information on only three parameters such as OAL, bullet weight and powder/charge. This is one reason I don't fall into the "only do exactly what a manual says" hub-ub many cry on the internet...the manuals don't even agree.
So do you use only one source and stick to that? In my case the Hodgdon and Lee load info were the same. One more thing about loads. I bought what I thought was a very good digital scale and when I weigh charges it varies by .1 to .2 grain on the plus side virtually every time. Is this a significant amount. I'm, using starting load grains, not any higher until I get a feel for things. I am placing the little aluminum tray (dish) on the scale and doing the tare function so that it zeros the scale. Then dipping the powder with a Lee dipper and trickling to desired grains. Then picking the trey up and placing it back on the scale to check again and that is where I am getting the variations in weight. I am going through this procedure because my Auto Drum did not work out of the box and I sent it back to Lee to be fixed. Just so you know I am not totally insane. :)
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

First keep any electronics away from your scale particularly cell phones. I'm not sure I understand your procedure of picking the pan up and putting it back on the scale after you trickle it to the desired weight.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

The reason I was doing that was because the scale when I took the tray/pan off to dump powder was fluctuating .001 to .002 and not settling on the same number so when I put the pan back on the scale the number changed a hair. That concerned me that my weight of the next powder charge was off. I was taking it off the scale and back on to check the weight to verify. Hope that makes sense? Maybe I am overthinking things.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

killian6pk wrote:The reason I was doing that was because the scale when I took the tray/pan off to dump powder was fluctuating .001 to .002 and not settling on the same number so when I put the pan back on the scale the number changed a hair. That concerned me that my weight of the next powder charge was off. I was taking it off the scale and back on to check the weight to verify. Hope that makes sense? Maybe I am overthinking things.
Ok.. One - two " thousandth" of a grain??? How about .1 -to- .2 :D
First off, are we now talking 45ACP or, are we back to 9mms, or both ??
45CAP no problems with .1 - .2 over. 45CAP is sort of the 38Spec of the self stuffer world.
Its pretty hard to get in trouble with but, that doesn't mean it can't be done!!!! Can't try!!!
Now, 9mms which, (contrary to some internet keyboard commandos) "IS" a high pressure round.. you can get in trouble a bit quicker with it!! Don't try !!
Some 9mm loads there is only .1 .2 between min & max in "Established, Published"
load data. Established, Published data is exactly want you should be using
& following to the letter, until you get some more bench time under your belt.
So, which ever of the two loads you were talking about?? Hope this helps.
Your Digital scale, Yup, keep EVERYTHING electronic, magnetic, electric away from it..
Cell phone, tablet, lap top, printer, charger, fluorescent lights & on & on.
I'm a die-hard beam man myself. Keep us posted...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Power fluctuations can also cause scale variation. I only use mine with the battery option for this reason. The scale should be on a flat level surface. Try weighing the powder pan empty several times. Mine was just at the edge of 157.3 and 157.4 grains. I shaved off some metal to get it consistently at 157.3. Also let the measure settle down for a bit and then calibrate.
AlaskanGuy
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by AlaskanGuy »

killian6pk wrote:Thanks for the info. I am having fun. Learning new things has always been fun for me.
awesome!!! there are some rocket scientists around here that are willing to lend a hand... always good to learn a bit... good luck with it. +guns
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

In this case I was talking about 45 the first batch I did was the 9's and I did not see this fluctuation or at least notice it so the 9's I believe are good. When you mentioned the cell phone I had left it about a foot away from where the scale was so maybe that is what was causing things to be off. The .001 was weighing the scale pan not the powder. The load were consistent (if I can believe the scale) within .1 and like I said I was using the starting load. I will keep in mind what you said about the 9's and make sure I am really careful about the charge in them.

larryw wrote:
killian6pk wrote:The reason I was doing that was because the scale when I took the tray/pan off to dump powder was fluctuating .001 to .002 and not settling on the same number so when I put the pan back on the scale the number changed a hair. That concerned me that my weight of the next powder charge was off. I was taking it off the scale and back on to check the weight to verify. Hope that makes sense? Maybe I am overthinking things.
Ok.. One - two " thousandth" of a grain??? How about .1 -to- .2 :D
First off, are we now talking 45ACP or, are we back to 9mms, or both ??
45CAP no problems with .1 - .2 over. 45CAP is sort of the 38Spec of the self stuffer world.
Its pretty hard to get in trouble with but, that doesn't mean it can't be done!!!! Can't try!!!
Now, 9mms which, (contrary to some internet keyboard commandos) "IS" a high pressure round.. you can get in trouble a bit quicker with it!! Don't try !!
Some 9mm loads there is only .1 .2 between min & max in "Established, Published"
load data. Established, Published data is exactly want you should be using
& following to the letter, until you get some more bench time under your belt.
So, which ever of the two loads you were talking about?? Hope this helps.
Your Digital scale, Yup, keep EVERYTHING electronic, magnetic, electric away from it..
Cell phone, tablet, lap top, printer, charger, fluorescent lights & on & on.
I'm a die-hard beam man myself. Keep us posted...
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks everyone, when you are as new to this as I am, you see problems everywhere. So hopefully I am not driving you all crazy with questions. :)
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

killian6pk wrote:Thanks everyone, when you are as new to this as I am, you see problems everywhere. So hopefully I am not driving you all crazy with questions. :)
When in doubt, ask,, we've all been there.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Handgun Reloading”