Reloading 9mm

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
michman

Reloading 9mm

Post by michman »

I am just getting into reloading. Only 9mm at his time. I just picked up my new Lee Pro 1000 the other day. I went by some videos on YouTube about setting up your dies. I bought setup for 9mm and thought that maybe the dies were setup, since they were already installed, so I called Lee, and they said they should be checked. When it finishes a load, it doesn't seem to crimp it any, because you can feel the lip/edge of the the brass. Does 9mm need to be crimped?
celem
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Reloading 9mm

Post by celem »

You only expand the case with a tiny amount of Bell or flare on the case mouth. It is flared just enough to aid in seating the bullet. When you seat the bullet it is basically just removing the bell leaving a straight case. You do not crimp into the bullet. You leave the case straight.

Read the instructions on the seating crimping die. You only want this tiny amount of crimp to straighten out the bell.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

celem hit is right and Lee dies are extremely easy to adjust, just follow Lee's instructions. With a change in cases or bullets from the previous setup, it is a good idea to check everything before you put a progressive press to work.
Michael
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

The edge of the case establishes the depth of the 9 mm in the chamber. If you roll-crimped the edge, the shell would go further into the chamber and may result in light primer strikes or possibly misfires. The expander ball is about 0.001" smaller than the bullet (0.355") so that tension holds the bullet in the shell until it is fired.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I may sound like a jerk but if you are asking if 9mm needs to be crimped then you really need to hit the books first before you start trying to crank out ammo. The "ABC's of Reloading" is a great start and is pretty easy to find in any of the big book stores or of course Amazon.com. And just so you don't think I'm a complete jerk I once asked if lead bullets in .45 ACP needed lube since they are low pressure. I'm really glad someone stopped me from trying that.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Around here there is no stupid qeustions, no spelling police thank god, We are a laid back group that enjoys the hobby and helping others enjoy it as well. Ask away
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I may sound like a jerk but if you are asking if 9mm needs to be crimped then you really need to hit the books first before you start trying to crank out ammo. The "ABC's of Reloading" is a great start and is pretty easy to find in any of the big book stores or of course Amazon.com. And just so you don't think I'm a complete jerk I once asked if lead bullets in .45 ACP needed lube since they are low pressure. I'm really glad someone stopped me from trying that.
Hey maximumbob, you are a wise man. I was curious if lead bullets would work without lube..... Took a lot of cleaning after a few of them in my 40.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:
Maximumbob54 wrote:I may sound like a jerk but if you are asking if 9mm needs to be crimped then you really need to hit the books first before you start trying to crank out ammo. The "ABC's of Reloading" is a great start and is pretty easy to find in any of the big book stores or of course Amazon.com. And just so you don't think I'm a complete jerk I once asked if lead bullets in .45 ACP needed lube since they are low pressure. I'm really glad someone stopped me from trying that.
Hey maximumbob, you are a wise man. I was curious if lead bullets would work without lube..... Took a lot of cleaning after a few of them in my 40.
I haven't done that one yet but sure a case of blunders will strike sooner or later. I have made a couple of squids and had the boolits fall out of a completed round. :o
Je suis Charlie
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I swear I'm not trying to be the stupid question police. It's just that reloading is only a safe practice if you know what you are doing from the first step to the last. By all means ask questions. I just don't ever want to read about a new reloader being hurt because they thought they knew what they were doing.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I swear I'm not trying to be the stupid question police. It's just that reloading is only a safe practice if you know what you are doing from the first step to the last. By all means ask questions. I just don't ever want to read about a new reloader being hurt because they thought they knew what they were doing.
Very true +1, I didn't mean to put it like that either I just don't want anyone to be afraid to ask anything on the forum is all thanks for understanding. Alot of other forums have members that scare freshmen away.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Handgun Reloading”