Do 44-40 WCF Cases need case lube for re-sizing?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Royce
My Press Choice: Turret

Do 44-40 WCF Cases need case lube for re-sizing?

Post by Royce »

So I purchased a toy with my stimulus check. I also bought Lee carbide dies and Factory Crimp die. In the Lee die box came a small sample of "Case Lube". This got me wondering, does a spent 44-40 round need to be lubed before resizing? I've been reloading pistol cartridges for 30+ years using Lee carbide dies and this would be the first time to use lube.

I recognize that the 44-40 cases have a slight bottleneck so maybe that would explain the need to lube?

Picture of new one:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Do 44-40 WCF Cases need case lube for re-sizing?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I would probably put a dab on every 3rd or 4th case. I'm actually kinda curious how they make a carbide die for a bottle neck case. I've always found a little lube doesn't hurt even with carbide.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

A little dab will do 'ya... I agree, every few cases run a lubed one, the sizing seems
a bit smoother & easier. Sure doesn't hurt, but just a dab...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

larryw wrote:A little dab will do 'ya... I agree, every few cases run a lubed one, the sizing seems
a bit smoother & easier. Sure doesn't hurt, but just a dab...
The above or a light coat of the Lee Lube and Isopropyl alcohol mix.
Michael
Royce

Post by Royce »

In my collection of stuff I see I have an aerosol can of Lyman case lube. Anyone ever use that? How is it used?
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

A light coat and let it dry completely. When I've used the sprays if it's a decent day I take the cases outside, put them on a piece of parchment paper or newspaper spray them and let the sun and breeze dry them.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

+1 for the Lee lube and alcohol mix spray. It dries quick and is easily removed afterward. I use the same for reforming 270 Win cases to 8mm Mauser in one stroke.
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Need to load some more 44-40 to feed my new Uberti/Cimarron 1873 rifle (and matching revolver). IIRC, as mentioned, I just dabbed my fingers in some Imperial lube every so often. Also, if you are using new Starline brass, 1) resize it, and 2) don't be surprised if the first sizing doesn't give the cases the bottleneck you expect. Mine does not. Needs to be once fired to have the full bottleneck effect (and I will prob do some version of neck sizing on once fired brass). I struggled at first, as I didn't think I needed to size the new SL brass. Not so, at least for me! Also, can't tell the revolver maker. It MAY have the .427/.428 throats, or, like my Uberti/Cimarron revolver, it may have .429/.430 throats. I am using .430 sized bullets and they work great, both rifle and revolver. Both mine like Unique and HP-38 loads the same.
Royce

Post by Royce »

Thanks for the comments. I have new Winchester brass and am using powder coated .430" 240 GR SWC's since my Uberti also has .429" throat and barrel size. I also have a box of Remington 200 GR Jacketed Soft Point factory rounds that I intend to use as a source of cases. I bought this box at a gun show in the 1980's as I could not resist several boxes of various odd ball caliber new factory ammo priced at $10 a box.

oscarflytyer wrote:Need to load some more 44-40 to feed my new Uberti/Cimarron 1873 rifle (and matching revolver). IIRC, as mentioned, I just dabbed my fingers in some Imperial lube every so often. Also, if you are using new Starline brass, 1) resize it, and 2) don't be surprised if the first sizing doesn't give the cases the bottleneck you expect. Mine does not. Needs to be once fired to have the full bottleneck effect (and I will prob do some version of neck sizing on once fired brass). I struggled at first, as I didn't think I needed to size the new SL brass. Not so, at least for me! Also, can't tell the revolver maker. It MAY have the .427/.428 throats, or, like my Uberti/Cimarron revolver, it may have .429/.430 throats. I am using .430 sized bullets and they work great, both rifle and revolver. Both mine like Unique and HP-38 loads the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Royce on 11 Jan 2022 17:38, edited 2 times in total.
BryanAustin

Post by BryanAustin »

Royce wrote:Thanks for the comments. I have new Winchester brass and am using powder coated .430" 240 GR SWC's since my Uberti also has .429" throat and barrel size. I also have a box of Remington 200 GR Jacketed Soft Point factory rounds that I intend to use as a source of cases. I bought this box at a gun show in the 1980's as I could not resist several boxes of various odd ball caliber new factory ammo priced at $10 a box.
I was curious if you have loaded up and shot those loads since you posted. How did ya like'm?

The RP brass is the thicker of the three main brass manufactures. Winchester being the thinnest, Starline being in the middle and RP the thickest. On top of that, using a roll crimp or even a Lee FCD, those .430's with the RP brass may not want to chamber very well.

44-40 Web Site

I forgot to add, yes, lubing the case is even found in Winchester's 1870's handloading information.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”