New guy

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: New guy

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Todd381

Post by Todd381 »

Thanks guys good to be here we will do
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Hi Todd,
I have shot thousands of hard cast bullets. work up the load, check for leading and accuracy as you increase velocity. I find my most accurate loads are just below the velocity where the leading gets bad. There is a large savings by shooting cast bullets. I buy mine, but I am going to start casting some of what I shoot. I plan on buying my bullet metal from the same guy I buy the bullets from. He buys most of what he cast from a foundry in ingets of premixed bullet metal.

I rarely clean the bore in my home guard/practice pistol. the lead only builds up a little bit and accuracy holds better than most people can shoot.
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Welcome! For a beginner, I'd suggest you read as much as possible about the hows and whys of reloading (The ABCs of Reloading is a good start along with at least one good reloading manual). Then find a load in your manual, a tried and true combination of components, then purchase components. For 9mm, mebbe a 124 gr. jacketed round nose with a fast burning powder (Bullseye, W231, etc) or medium speed powder (Unique, Universal, etc.). A bazillion rounds have already been reloaded with these components and answers to any questions/problems are readily available...
Todd381

Post by Todd381 »

We'll I was going to just into reload some 9mm this weekend just got word that I was going to work the ice storm so it mit be a little while before am going to home thanks on information guy I didn't know that lead was that good and cheep but all you guys help me see the good side of lead cast bullet were you guys getting your lead tire shop
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Todd381 wrote:We'll I was going to just into reload some 9mm this weekend just got word that I was going to work the ice storm so it mit be a little while before am going to home thanks on information guy I didn't know that lead was that good and cheep but all you guys help me see the good side of lead cast bullet were you guys getting your lead tire shop

Maybe a tire shop but the greenies and lawyers are closing that source up. If you have a outside range you can get lead out of the berm if allowed or you can buy it on line. I get mine from a salvage yard at $1.75 a pound. That is high and depending on where you live could be as low as 50 cents a pound but most folks on castboolits report about $1.00 a pound. A 125 grain bullet will net 56 each per pound and at my cost cost you 0.03125 cents each. A Hornady 124 grain round nose will cost you 0.1579 cents each from MidwayUSA a savings of 0.12665 cents.
Je suis Charlie
AlaskanGuy

Post by AlaskanGuy »

Totally agree with what mr Chevy said.... And he Must be an old fart to have a 62 chevy sitting around... He he

AG
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

AlaskanGuy wrote:Totally agree with what mr Chevy said.... And he Must be an old fart to have a 62 chevy sitting around... He he

AG

I've been called that by my grandkids once or twice and my great-grandkids are all to young to say anything, LOL.
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Welcome.

I just shot a %@*&$ High Power 9mm w/consistant hits on 8'' steel at 40yd . I do get some leading but nothing that would keep me from shooting 300 plus rounds and it usually cleans up w/ just a brush and tight patches. Sometimes a little 0000 steel wool.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Even buying a premium alloy like Linotype from an outfit such as Rotometals makes shooting cheap. A 125-grain 9mm bullet will cost .006 each! The best thing about casting is that you are not waiting for bullets to be back in stock. The stock is up to you!
Michael

Return to “Handgun Reloading”