New guy

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Todd381

New guy

Post by Todd381 »

Am new to the reloading and new to this form just wanted to hey glad to be part of this form I got the lee 50th ann kit really looking forward to get some reloads done
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: New guy

Post by daboone »

Hi Todd! This is a friendly site and I'm sure you will find lots of good info here. So jump in and tell us about yourself and what your reloading goals are. +corn
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Todd381

Post by Todd381 »

Am a linemen by trade I spend a lot of time outdoors am getting into pistol reloading right now looking later down the road to get into rifle reloading plan on order 1000 rounds of 9mm in a couple of week
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Welcome to the forum Todd! What bullets are you planing on using, lead, copper jacked or hollow points.
Je suis Charlie
Todd381

Post by Todd381 »

Thanks am planing on going with jacketed I thing been doing a lot of reading and the best that I could understand that lead get your barrel dirty and you don't shoot as accurate what y'all though on that
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum Todd!
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Todd381 wrote:Thanks am planing on going with jacketed I thing been doing a lot of reading and the best that I could understand that lead get your barrel dirty and you don't shoot as accurate what y'all though on that
Well Todd the "lowly" .22 rim fire has been around for a VERY long time and very very few 22 owners ever cleaned their barrels and still put rabbit and squirrel on the table and eliminated many a varmint.

It is true that lead bullets can lead a barrel. It's also true that any copper covered bullet can foul a barrel. In both cases the fouling will screw things up. Of the 2 types of fouling lead is easier to remove.

Lead bullets, as the common 22 proves, can be made so there is no lead fouling. To be honest I've never bought lead bullets that proved to be satisfactory so cast my own. There is a learning curve to find the proper bullet fit and lube for the lead bullet for a gun. This is another topic and volumes have been written and discussed as to how to get the leadless results and very VERY impressive accuracy.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

I shoot and cast lead bullets and yes the first time I cast they leaded my barrel. As daboone said it's easy to remove and have sense learned what it takes not to get leading.I started reloading by cast first before starting to reload but think most do it the other was with jacked bullets first. The problem is when I started last year no bullets could be found so I went to cast them with no regrets. I pay .09 cents a round casting them and over .25 with jacketed. If I could find free lead then they would cost less than .05 cents or about the same as 22 LR.
Je suis Charlie
Todd381

Post by Todd381 »

Thanks guys for the helpful information I have not look at it that way I will look into it
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Welcome Todd & best of luck to 'ya.
Us "Old Farts" like questions, so
ask away if there is anything
we can help with.
Always remember, Safety, Safety, Safety.
ABOVE ALL ELSE !!!!!
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Handgun Reloading”