45 ACP

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 45 ACP

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I have about 3/4 of a jar of Titegroup and other than using it for fertilizer I'm not sure how I'll manage to use it up.
I've got over 9 and a half pounds. What's funny is every powder trade I've made has included it as a freebie as the individual did not want to work with it after seeing the slight fill a max charge delivers. The only two cartridges I would recommend it for are the 25 and 32 Autos. Those tiny cases get a respectable fill that won't double charge.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

When I bought the Titegroup it was for 9mm. This was when I was using a single stage and weighing every 5th charge. When I got the turret press so I could keep up to the volume I was shooting I got nervous about the 3/10ths of a grain difference between min and max charge for the 125 grain bullet I was using at the time. Even though I have since changed bullets that small margin for error still makes me extra careful. The bottle of Titegroup has since left my shelf. I gave it to another loader for free after telling him my concerns.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Macd wrote:When I bought the Titegroup it was for 9mm. This was when I was using a single stage and weighing every 5th charge. When I got the turret press so I could keep up to the volume I was shooting I got nervous about the 3/10ths of a grain difference between min and max charge for the 125 grain bullet I was using at the time. Even though I have since changed bullets that small margin for error still makes me extra careful. The bottle of Titegroup has since left my shelf. I gave it to another loader for free after telling him my concerns.
Yes,sir, that tight "coffin corner" for just about any load is the other thing that keeps me away.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
PBaholic
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by PBaholic »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:It's still a good powder but the charges are such that it's possible to double charge a 9mm case.
I've been using the RCBS Lock-Out Die ($50 - 87540) in my progressive, and it has eliminated squib loads and double charges.

It's a mechanical device that measures the amount of powder in the shell, and will not allow you to proceed if the powder level isn't right.

There is a rod inside that has an internal adjustment to lengthen or shorten it depending on what you are reloading. I use a digital micrometer and found the minimum and maximum lengths of the rod for a particular load, and set it in the middle. Once I had these measurements, I can simply adjust the length when I switch loads.

NOTE * Edited to attribute quote to proper user

Return to “Handgun Reloading”