45 ACP

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 45 ACP

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks for the info I am just below Lexington on I-75 so about 1.5 hours from Cinci. Have tried Cabella's online with the idea of having them ship to Lex. store, but they are like pretty well everyone else, if they have one they don't have the other.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Just an update: Bass Pro Shops Online had some powder and primers. Some available now and some in a week or so. I placed an order and then called to ask that it all be shipped in one box when all of it came in to them. The lady I talked to said I would not have the pay the Haz.fee but one time even it the order came in 4 different boxes on 4 different days. I thought this was interesting.

Another question (I'm full of them). Can most shotgun powders be used in pistol loads also. I found info on Hogdon 700x and 800x and both had data for pistol loads. That is the reason I'm asking.
Last edited by killian6pk on 28 Apr 2020 15:23, edited 2 times in total.
kaycee
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by kaycee »

gunbot.net

Here you can search for most reloading stuff and if you use the drop-down menu you can sort by retailer and it'll group what that retailer has in stock. The site is kind of archaic but fairly easy to navigate.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

killian6pk wrote: Can most shotgun powders be used in pistol loads also. I found info on Hogdon 700x and 800x and both had data for pistol loads. That is the reason I'm asking.
Some shotgun powders work really well in straight wall revolver magnums but the loading manual will point you in the proper direction.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GasGuzzler wrote:
killian6pk wrote: Can most shotgun powders be used in pistol loads also. I found info on Hogdon 700x and 800x and both had data for pistol loads. That is the reason I'm asking.
Some shotgun powders work really well in straight wall revolver magnums but the loading manual will point you in the proper direction.
What Gas said. I've never used 700X or 800X but I hear complaints about how 700x meters. I use a lot of Lil'Gun which was "designed" as a 410 powder in my straight wall pistol magnum cases in my leverguns. No use for it in smaller auto pistol cases. In '67 when I started with 9mm I used Bullseye. It's still a good powder but the charges are such that it's possible to double charge a 9mm case. I think you mentioned CFE Pistol and CFE 223, what little I've done with CFE I like the powder but I need to do more work with it.

Read, read read and keep good notes it'll pay dividends as you move along in reloading.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:It's still a good powder but the charges are such that it's possible to double charge a 9mm case.
Thanks for bringing double charges up. I never use a powder charge that is less than 50% of the useful case capacity unless I'm using a filler that has a measurable density or weight (which verifies that the powder charge isn't doubled). I know guys that do use reduced loads, and they all say it; they won't double charge a case; but, I know guys that have blown barrels, cylinders, and slides off of firearms.

I'm very surprised at the latest email from Hodgdon touting the efficiency of Titegroup over HP-38. I can't think of any other way to say it, but their examples are horrible and probably will put some reloaders at risk. All the charge samples have extremely low fill and some could even be tripled. Any of these charges, double, will cause metal parts to leave the firearm as the powder is very volatile.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Welcome to the wonderful, oft frustrating and confusing world of reloading!

In addition to the good info above, I'd suggest a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. This text will show the hows and whys of reloading and explain all the components and equipment used. A very popular and basic "How To" text that can be referred back to even after several years of reloading...

Go slow. Double check everything. Most important; have fun...
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

ABC's is a good book.

RD has a great point on really fast powders that reach full pressure max at less than 50% case fill. When I started to load 45 colt I realized how risky that large volume case is with the two powders I had on hand, Titegroup and Clay's. Less than 1/3 fill with both powders.. I needed a bright light and to stand directly over the reloading tray to ensure there was powder in each case and it was a consistent height.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have about 3/4 of a jar of Titegroup and other than using it for fertilizer I'm not sure how I'll manage to use it up. I've tried it in the 45 Colt and the 44 mag and at close to max charges it still gives me smokey cases and other than those two I don't have anything to use it in. Maybe the 357 but I doubt it.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

CFE meters well.

I don't agree with the Bullseye comments... it's what I use in 9X19 and there's no way I could double a charge. The bullet would not fit. In fact, it's another reason I don't like Unique. I couldn't get enough of the flakes to settle and leave room for the bullet.

I don't know why but I too have a can of Titegroup. Since 2012 I have bought stuff when I see a good deal whether or not I have a specific use because I don't know how long anything I do use will be available.

My favorite .357 Magnum powder is Alliant 2400 and it was developed as a .410 bore shotgun powder.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”