45 ACP

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

45 ACP

Post by killian6pk »

Can someone tell me what the difference in round nose and flat nose bullets is, and why I would want to use one or the other?

Also which CCI primers should I use for 45 ACP, 9mm and .223/556? There seems to be lots of choices? Like 500, 550, 400, 41.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 45 ACP

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Round nose are just that the nose is rounded rather come to point (spire pointed), flat nose are flat on the "business" end for use in tube fed rifles or to gain more impact on the target.

Standard CCI primers will work fine in all your cases. These generally don't have "50" in their number. 9mm = small pistol, 45ACP = large pistol (there are some small pocket 45s around) 223/5.56 small rife. You'll find addition info in any good loading manual. I would suggest the Lyman 50th edition.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Most of the primer packages I see say either small pistol, large pistol, small rifle or large rifle and there might be 2 or 3 different numbers on the box. There is also small and large magnum primers. If you don't mind give me a number for small and large pistol and small rifle, because it seems like you can use #41 or #400 with .223.

Also is there a powder that might work with pistol and .223 or do I need to go with a separate one for each? My plan was to go with CFE Pistol and CFE 223, but I can't find them in stock anywhere near me.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

killian6pk wrote:Can someone tell me what the difference in round nose and flat nose bullets is, and why I would want to use one or the other?
Nose profile also defines purpose. In that you are talk handguns, a flat point bullet is much more effective for self dense a round nose has little to offer.
killian6pk wrote:Also which CCI primers should I use for 45 ACP, 9mm and .223/556? There seems to be lots of choices? Like 500, 550, 400, 41.
The numbers are nothing more than a manufacturer's product number. Ever box, no matter the number, is going to state Pistol or Rifle, then; Large or Small. On top of that, Magnum primers are available in those classes and categories, but only use them if the load data you are using specifies them.

The 9mm Luger uses Small Pistol primers. The SAAMI specification for the 45 Auto is Large Pistol Primers. As O3W pointed out, some 45 Auto brass uses Small Pistol primers. I think you would find these with range brass. I've never seen 45 Auto brass offered as a component for reloading with other than Large Pistol primer pockets. The 223 Rem uses Small Rifle primers.
Michael
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Kaiser »

The nose of a bullet that is "flattened" is theoretically suppose to impart more energy on an object (target, game animal, etc.) than a round nose of the same metal composition. A fellow named Marshall Stanton, on another site, tested and wrote a lot of information on the subject where he conclude that a certain (large) sized flat point from a specific large caliber (particularly .44 and .45's) have a greater killing effect on game animals than smaller flat points or round nose. This flatten end value is called "meplat", and it does seem to be more effective on game, especially lead cast bullets. I'll let RD speak for his own experiments in this area, which had to be extensive for his commercial Ranch Dog bullet line; for most of his cast designs maximize this design feature and are sought after for their accuracy. The only problem I've had with flat points, are the ones that are too big when used in a short throated big bore, tube fed rifle. They are also not my first choice for extra long range shooting where B.C. is important for velocity retention and flat trajectory in the smaller caliber cartridges (my threshold is .30 cal).

I can't answer the primer question, other than to parrot what other have said. I usually use what is recommended by the reloading manuals without any experimentation once I've found an accurate load. (I haven't tried the small primer .45acp brass, and avoid it like the "plague" as the maximum aggravation when loading .45's.)
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

All the powder manufacturers have websites with reloading information. The largest powder selection is from Hogdon. I suggest you invest in a good reloading manual. I personally like the Lee 2nd edition.

A bullet with a flattened point has greater frontal area. It transfers energy to the target more quickly over a larger area. This in turn creates a wider wound channel but reduced penetration.. Wide meplat bullets lose velocity more quickly and are best for shorter ranges. The best moose bullet I have ever used is a hard cast lead 204 grain flat nose. It is deadly out to about 150 yards but after that its velocity and energy loss reduce its effectiveness.

Every primer manufacturer has it's own numbering system. Primers are the made according to size standards established by SAAMI but may differ in power depending on type and manufacturer. Only use the primer specified for the load as listed in your reloading manual. Primers are the most dangerous component and should be kept in their original packaging.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I can only add one thing to the above. The #41 is made specifically for AR-15 style platforms and is a little harder to help prevent "slam fire" in semi-automatic rifles. Personally I use any SRP (small rifle primer) in my 5.56X45 loads. The #41 doesn't differ much from the 400 or the other makers' SRP. The loading manual will tell you what to use.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Primers there's a bucket o snakes .

CCI has 300 for large Rifle , 400 for small rifle , 200 large pistol and 500 for small . #34 and #41 are specifically for gas autos with floating firing pins but may be used for most rifles , #34 large #41 small . #41 are equal to the 450 in a slightly heavier cup . All on the 50's ,250,350 etc are the Magnum version of base group .

Shotshells primers have settled down but at one point substitution of an FC 209A for a W209 would jump pressures nearly 10kpsi in some loads .

For the beginner it's probably easier to think of most Flat Nose bullets where the meplat is over 50% of caliber , IE .165 on a .308 as a preexpanded bullet . The configuration is most used for target bullets in FMJ and plated bullets and extensively in cast for a lot of reasons other than energy exchange that goes into the dive pit end of the pool .

I hope this sheds some light without making too many more dark corners .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

I really appreciate all the imput, when you are just starting out all of this minutia is a little overwhelming. I have ordered a loading manual. I forget which one since it has been forever since I placed the order. I don't want to screw up on my first loads by assuming to much. One of the most frustrating things about what is going on now,. is that if a company has powder they don't have primers and the other way round. I am going to have to order primer and powder the first time since I can't depend on Cabella's and Sportsman's Warehouse to have anything in stock. That hazardous materials shipping fee really balloons the cost. If anyone knows where to find both those in the same place I would appreciate knowing.
One more question about the 45 flat nose bullet. Does it chamber ok in a 1911 full size pistol?
Also Ranch Dog do you still sell bullets?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Sincerely, that minutia will either keep you out of trouble or get you deep into trouble. I usually use CCI primers when I can find them, Federal is my second choice. As you've noticed right now finding primers and powder is some what iffy. If you part of KY is close to Cincinnati you might check with the West Chester Cabelas, I was there last Thursday and their powder stock was at least good, primers were very much dependent on brand and size, but all sizes were represented.

As to the flat nosed 45 and chambering, it depends almost entirely on the 1911's feed ramp. Four of mine feed Semi wadcutters fine. One other one not so much, very dependent on OAL. He shoots RPFN and Round nose fine as do the others, so I have choices. All of this reminds me I need to lay in a quantity of 45 bullets and get some 45ACP loading done.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Handgun Reloading”