9mm recipe

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Shooter74
My Press Choice: Turret

9mm recipe

Post by Shooter74 »

Looking for load data for 124 gr plated FN for Unique powder.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 9mm recipe

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Load data doesn't list that weight but does list 125 gr jacketed starting at 4.5gr to 5.0gr MAX. I have found that most plated bullets are okay with bottom end jacketed loads. YMMV The same source also shows a 120gr cast at 4.0 to 5.0 of Unique. Those come from the Lyman manuals, a good investment.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I suggest a better powder than Unique. My plated pet load is loaded long with a little extra Bullseye.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Load data doesn't list that weight but does list 125 gr jacketed starting at 4.5gr to 5.0gr MAX. I have found that most plated bullets are okay with bottom end jacketed loads. YMMV The same source also shows a 120gr cast at 4.0 to 5.0 of Unique. Those come from the Lyman manuals, a good investment.

Make smoke,
+1

http://www.campro.ca/images/-9MM.124.RN.pdf

I use seating depth to adjust for bullet profile differences for bullets of the same weight and composition. This is important for small high pressure calibres like the 9mm. As long as the seating depth is the same, assuming you are not jamming into rifling, pressures should be the same.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

The few plated bullets I tried (about 1,000 various calibers) were all reloaded with lead bullet data. Most I started with lead starting data and worked up to lower-mid jacketed levels. I got this info from the bullet manufacturer...

Personally I found no benefit from plated bullets; if I needed high velocity, as in a SD load, I'd just load jacketed bullets. My cast lead bullets were a bit more accurate and didn't lead my guns... :roll:

Return to “Handgun Reloading”