New Gun

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

New Gun

Post by horseman »

I posted earlier on that I was "thinking" about getting a new 1911 pistol in 45 ACP but was kinda Ho-Humming about it. Looked at several on the "net" and really liked what I saw and read about the Metro Arms offerings. None in my area to actually "fondle" and to do so meant I would have to order one sight unseen and the cost out the door locally is a hundred bucks + a bit more than you see selling on line for. Ehhh, not to excited to do that. So I'm walking through a BI-Mart store a few days later in another city a ways from here browsing the sporting goods area checking what powder they had on hand (scored some H4350) and I see an ad for RIA (Rock Island) Government model 1911A1 45 ACP on sale. Talk to the clerk and it's $385.00 out the door. :shock: Plain Jane model, no trick stuff, plain hardwood grips, flat black finish (can't remember what it's called) tight fit and a very decent trigger. I like it. It is now sitting in my reloading room. Of course the first thing to do is to totally disassemble it and clean everything. I only had to watch two maybe three videos on U-tube (may have called LarryW Also) to get it back together :oops: :lol: . Plus, my pard, LarryW also sent me a BUNCH of 45 brass that I received Friday (thanks again Larry) and it's now all been sized, deprimed and wet tumbled. I just received notice that I have 1000 RMR plated bullets in my mail box, powder and primers are on hand so I guess I'll be in the reloading room today firing up the Loadmaster Press.......... +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: New Gun

Post by mr surveyor »

Sounds like a good project. I could kick myself, if I wouldn't fall down, over not buying a GI 1911 model RIA around 15 years ago when they could be had for under $200. I already had a Kimber Compact Stainless (still do as it's my favorite) so I was more into spending money on the 9mm "bottom feeders" for the range and carry revolvers for my daily work needs. A few years later I found out that the RIA frames were used in some custom 1911 builds … so I figure they must be pretty danged good after all.

As far as the loads, I've tried several powders over my vast 9 years of reloading ;) but have finally realized the best overall has been found in the Accurate powders. Since we're considering (normally) under 900 fps and generally what's considered a "low pressure" round, cast bullets whether plated or un-plated fit the need. I've found that around 8.2 gr of AA#5 fits the need ….. BUT, recently decided to really cheap out and try AA#2. From playing with around 5.4 gr of AA#2 with the cast 230 gr RN, I've been pleasantly surprised.

Just to keep rambling, the .45 Auto (aka .45 acp) has always been, by far, my favorite bottom feeder to hand load. Big fat bullet, big fat brass, big primers …… reminds me of first grade with the big fat pencil and Big Chief Tablet :)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Oh yeah, I've always remembered those pencils in the first and second grade, had to rest them on your shoulder to write with em' :lol: .

What I'm loading and shooting (yep I've loaded and fired off 24 rounds of "test" loads this morning right after going to the maibox 8-) ) is 200gr. RMR plated RN bullets over 7.2-7.4 grains of Herco. That's about as close as it will meter. OAL is running 1.180/ 1.183 on my Load Master press. Data from Lee 2nd edition shows a start of 7.4 and Max of 7.7 with OAL of 1.175.So I could bump that up a bit if I feel the need. Herco is a bit out of the ordinary I know but I happen to have about 7lbs of it left and I'll use it where I can. Besides that, this is a very soft shooting load in this application (as I also found in the 9MM) and should be in the +800 fps range. It's burning clean, gun has run flawless and I am hitting where I'm aiming. Well, pretty close anyhow. :? So all is good. If I were really interested (read lazy) I'd get out the chrony and run a few over that but generally when that happens you all of a sudden turn a "good, fun" load into a not so good load when you find out it's a wussy, so think I"ll just stay in ignorant bliss. :D . Not sure if I'll load a "bunch" of them or not but for now I'm having a good time.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I think I have W231 for that? I cannot remember. I haven't loaded many 45 AUTO (WtH is ACP? :))
I bought a Beretta Nano 9X19 yesterday but it's about half the size of my GI 1911 .

Power Pistol and HS-6 too...
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:I think I have W231 for that? I cannot remember. I haven't loaded many 45 AUTO (WtH is ACP? :))
I bought a Beretta Nano 9X19 yesterday but it's about half the size of my GI 1911 .

Power Pistol and HS-6 too...

1911 45 ACP (auto) stands for automatic colt pistol. Which it's been called for a little over a hundred years since JMB designed it, but you know that. :D That's o.k., I cringe when I see 45 Long Colt or 45LC instead of 45 Colt. I've heard all the "arguments" for and against but you know what? it's a 45 Colt. Maybe we should start a post on pet peeve names, man I have a bunch. One that to me is like fingernails on a chalk board is "hard cast" when does a cast bullet become "hard cast" instead of "soft cast" or just "cast" ???? anybody have a number.....but I'm old and crotchety and set in my ways so a lot of that stuff bugs me.

For 45 Auto :roll: loads I do have about a half pound of 231, about the same of Bullseye. A couple pounds of HS6 that I use for 9mm loads. I'll probably use the 231 up for the 45 ACP :lol: loads cause' I don't use it for anything else. But the Herco seems to be working alright too. :t
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Your doing great Horseman. The 45CAP (or what ever you call them now)
Is a very easy round to please. Sort of like 38spec, & just as many, or more
powders work for them.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Happy New Gun Day!
You'll like that Rock Island....I bought One a Few Months ago...Great Gun!

But be Careful...I like the Rock Island 1911 so much, when I came across One in 22TCM/9mm...I bought it Too.. I'm Eatin dried Beans and Rice for the next couple Months, But 2000fps from a 1911 is way too much Fun! :D
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

orerancher wrote:Happy New Gun Day!
You'll like that Rock Island....I bought One a Few Months ago...Great Gun!

But be Careful...I like the Rock Island 1911 so much, when I came across One in 22TCM/9mm...I bought it Too.. I'm Eatin dried Beans and Rice for the next couple Months, But 2000fps from a 1911 is way too much Fun! :D

are you reloading for the 22TCM yet?

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Horseman ,
I was recently informed that if it has anything but tin in the alloy it's hard cast .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I too way "over thought" buying my first 1911. I researched, posted Qs on forums and read up a bunch. Then shortly after I moved to Orygun I was exploring sporting good suppliers in my small town. At the only dedicated sporting goods store in town saw an RIA 1911A1 in the case, fondled it for 32.5 seconds and bought it. One of the best gun purchases I've made. I now have a few thousand rounds through it, and it has never choked on any; handloads with 185 gr LSWC, 200 gr LSWC, 225 gr and 230 gr LRN and a few factory loads. I have played a bit with it, changing sights, trigger and "smoothing" things up internally, but no matter what I've done to it or put in the magazine, it has never failed to go bang every time I pulled the trigger...

That was the last time I allowed my head to cheat me out of some fun!

Return to “Handgun Reloading”