New Gun

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
mad trapper
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: New Gun

Post by mad trapper »

Ive been looking at the RIA 1911s for some time now.
I was concerned that the internal parts might be cheap MIM cast that would not hold up.
But with what Im reading hear, they are good pistols.
I watched hickock45 with one and he said they were good pistols.
I trained on a 1911 in the early 80s while at Ft Bragg.
And we worked extensively with the 1911 in Armorer school.
That was back in 82 and I have forgotten everything, so I would need a manual to refresh my memory.
I wonder if the RIA 1911 will take GI parts?
When my paratroop unit got called up for the 83 Grenada Invasion, They gave me a mortar tube and a 1911 with 2 mags and a 50 rd box, maybe two, (cant remember for sure) of ammo.
When we got to the island, they switched out the mortar tube for an M-16.
I found some paracord and tied a piece to the 1911 lanyard and the other end to my belt loop and belt.
I was out on the beach one day and fired off a few rounds at a piece of cardboard, to check function and accuracy.
Got back about 20 ft., couldnt even see where the rounds were hitting, figured the barrel was shot out.
Buddy of mine lost his in the ocean, they told him he had to pay for the pistol.
They took $7.00 out of his paycheck, said that was the government cost for the pistols during WW2.
No wonder that pistol I had was shot out.
I liked that pistol, it carried easy, never got in the way, and you could get it into operation real fast if needed.
I would roll up my jungle fatigue shirt and use as a pillow, and slide my hand inside the shirt with the 1911 in my hand.
I dont remember having a holster issued, just the pistol, mags and ammo, so I kept it tucked in my belt, and the spare mag in a BDU pocket.
I havent handled a 1911 since then, but I think the RIA may be the way to go if I want a 1911.
Thank you everyone for all this information on the RIA.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

I've read a bazillion reviews on the Rock Island and it is rare to see a "bad" review. I'm convinced they are a good gun. I've put about 100 rounds through mine this past week, which is nothing, for function and accuracy. I had one feed failure but that was with my reloads so who knows. I just bumped the back of the slide into battery and it fired no problem. Accuracy issues are not the gun but my limitations but I'm getting better. I haven't shot a 1911 since the mid 90's and very little handgun for the past couple years so "rusty" doesn't even come close to describing my ability's.

As far as internals I'll bet what they use is probably as good as most any production pistols. One thing to know about ARMSCOR is when they started producing the Rock Island 1911's they bought all the equipment from Colt. I owned a couple Kimber 1911's back in the early 90's when Kimber made "good" ones, (IMO) where they made the name, and while they were much "nicer" with all the pretty stuff on them and the two tone color, my Commander model went back twice due to feed issues. 25 years ago the Kimbers I bought (2) each cost more than twice what I paid for the Rock Island I bought a couple weeks ago. Try a RI, shoot the snot out of it and if you decide you don't like it, sell it, you will still probably get back 90% of what you paid for it. I'm liking the one I have, a lot.
mad trapper
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by mad trapper »

Ive been browsing the web as to whether the RIA 1911 will take GI parts.
What I have heard so far is that they will, no problem.
Sounds like people have been using the RIA 1911 to build their own personal custom guns for some time.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

As stated I changed out some of the OEM RI parts on mine with milspec GI parts. I'm not a fan of the ambi-safety and I don't like the look of the full length guide rod. Those are Colt grips too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
James Hensler
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by James Hensler »

Guys try N310 for your 45 loads! Meters perfect, burns super clean and you don’t need much! I use 4.5 under a Zero 185JHP and that combo will shot 2 inches at 50 yards!
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

mr surveyor wrote:
orerancher wrote:Happy New Gun Day!
You'll like that Rock Island....I bought One a Few Months ago...Great Gun!

But be Careful...I like the Rock Island 1911 so much, when I came across One in 22TCM/9mm...I bought it Too.. I'm Eatin dried Beans and Rice for the next couple Months, But 2000fps from a 1911 is way too much Fun! :D

are you reloading for the 22TCM yet?

jd
Yes, Bought some Nickle Brass and some 40g Jacketed Bullets...In My Gun, My Hand Loads with Enforcer have shot better then the Armscor Factory Stuff...
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

orerancher wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:

But be Careful...I like the Rock Island 1911 so much, when I came across One in 22TCM/9mm...I bought it Too.. I'm Eatin dried Beans and Rice for the next couple Months, But 2000fps from a 1911 is way too much Fun! :D

are you reloading for the 22TCM yet?

jd
Yes, Bought some Nickle Brass and some 40g Jacketed Bullets...In My Gun, My Hand Loads with Enforcer have shot better then the Armscor Factory Stuff...
Thanks, that's good to know.

How available are the components?

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Graf & Son has Brass, Jacketed 22 Bullets are Everywhere, Accurate Arms Website has Data for Their Powders,
Now I wanna find a Mold and try Cast in IT...
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I've been enjoying the heck out of this thing. Been shooting it just about every day, just a couple mags maybe. About 300 rounds through it so far without an issue. A couple different loads, mostly 5.5gr. BE or the same of W231 under the RMR 200gr plated RN bullet. Running the OAl right at 1.270/75. BE load has a bit more "snap" to it. Starting to get the hang of it (the 1911) and Larryw has been helping me out with a few things. I'm 73 and been shooting most of my life and reloading since the 70's and to be honest both had kinda lost their "excitement" for me. Still did it but just not the same. This gun has me a bit excited now to do both again. orerancher what brand dried beans and rice you buying, I may need a recipe or two... :D
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

It is an amazing, & a wonderful thing, that no matter our age, no matter the time or occasion,
A new to us gun, (as well as many other things) lets us know without a doubt, that at least some
of that old "Childhood" exuberance & excitement that we thought, or were conditioned to believe
was gone from us, is still alive & well.
I know Horseman is enjoying the daylights out of this, both loading for & shooting it.
I can almost see the grin on his face & sure do hear it in his voice.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Handgun Reloading”