Plated Bullets

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Plated Bullets

Post by horseman »

There was a bit of talk in another thread about plated bullets. Some good info some not so good. This is a plug for RMR (Rocky Mt. Reloading) plated bullets as much as anything. I've been shooting them (9mm) for a couple years and find them to be a very good bullet. They are advertised as a lead core of 11 to 12BHN, which is harder (AFAIK) than any other on the market, plus their plating is .012 to .014 inches thick. This is close to twice as heavy as any other also. They are also advertised as being as close to "match grade" as possible. Check their website for the process they use to achieve this. It is also said their bullets can be "pushed" as high as 1500fps. Their prices are very competetive as well. I have no connection or deal in any way (other than what I buy and use) with RMR so this is just a satisfied customer mentioning what I consider a superior product. For those of you who have disdain for plated bullets, for whatever reason, should know that the Speer Gold Dot HP which is one of the favorite bullets for self defense, (what I carry) IS a plated bullet. If you've not had good luck using plated bullets give these a try, you may change your mind. +guns
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Plated Bullets

Post by larryw »

Thanks Horseman, ill be checking out RMR as I do like the thicker jackets (plating
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Ditto the above. Do they make any for rifle?

Larry I'm still depending on you firing up the pot and getting busy now the we have an unlimited source of lead.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
larryw

Post by larryw »

daboone wrote:Ditto the above. Do they make any for rifle?

Larry I'm still depending on you firing up the pot and getting busy now the we have an unlimited source of lead.
Not a problem. Remember, got 2 pots here so, Get your hind parts in gear, get over, keep me company & help out.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

Thanks horseman for the tip about RMR. Interesting. I'm always looking for new sources to aid my reloading. I mostly cast for what I reload, but I do like jacketed too.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
mikld

Post by mikld »

All my dealings with RMR have been very positive. I have purchased several thousand bullets from them. But, my experience/opinion with plated bullets has been depressing at best (not RMR plated though). I tried 1,100 plated bullets in 4 of my semi-autos, and two revolvers. I did not find them to be any better for my reloading/shooting than my cast bullets. The only thing is they are cleaner to handle, no lube (but lube on my fingers doesn't bother me at all). My cast bullets do not lead the barrels, and accuracy is good. If I want higher velocities (or SD ammo) I'll use jacketed. BTW I have 1,000+ "just in case" handloads using RMR's JHP in 9mm. I cannot tell the difference between them and Nosler 125 gr, JHPs, visually or in performance. Not badmouthing plated bullets, just for me there is no reason...
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I find plated both cheaper to shoot than jacketed and more convenient than lead. They also tend to be more consistent in terms of weight than cast but not a biggy for my purposes which is IPSC competition and just punching paper or banging steel. They wouldn't be my first choice for developing a hunting round nor a defensive load (if I needed one) but I am no expert so others may have more to add to that topic. To me, the extra cost of jacketed bullets designed for those purposes is well worth the money. Having said this I have had good experience with hard cast lead on animals the size of moose.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

They do make rifle bullets. Also some "pull downs". I'm not sure as to the calibers they have as I haven't looked for anything other than .22 cal for the AR.

Hello....what's this.....unlimited source of lead..... :shock: Larry didn't mention anything like that to me when I last spoke with him :cry: ....yep, we even talked about how I haven't fired up my pot for over a year as I only had a couple hundred pounds of ingots left with a 5 gal bucket of WW not yet smelted down. Nope, don't remember anything mentioned about "unlimited source of lead"......nope don't.....are you maybe speaking out of turn there pardner...... :?: Larry?????? +corn
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Macd wrote:I find plated both cheaper to shoot than jacketed and more convenient than lead.
+1 THIS
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
larryw

Post by larryw »

horseman wrote:

They do make rifle bullets. Also some "pull downs". I'm not sure as to the calibers they have as I haven't looked for anything other than .22 cal for the AR.

Hello....what's this.....unlimited source of lead..... :shock: Larry didn't mention anything like that to me when I last spoke with him :cry: ....yep, we even talked about how I haven't fired up my pot for over a year as I only had a couple hundred pounds of ingots left with a 5 gal bucket of WW not yet smelted down. Nope, don't remember anything mentioned about "unlimited source of lead"......nope don't.....are you maybe speaking out of turn there pardner...... :?: Larry?????? +corn

Unlimited, nope. We have an old friend we try & go see 2 or 3 times a month. Heck of an old guy,
major caster from way back, this guys knowledge just blows me away,anyway. he's 89, &
can just barely get around, Dan & I are about the only men friends he has left, he trys to get
us to take all sorts. of stuff, cast, bullets, shotgun supplies, Lead. We take a few handfuls
of what he offers every now & then just to keep him quiet. Unlimited??? In wish.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”