berry's bullets

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
bluetick
My Press Choice: Single Stage

berry's bullets

Post by bluetick »

I'd like to substitue a 125gr berry's plated bullet for a 125gr hornady hp/xtp bullet. I've heard that you can use a berry's bullet in place of a jacketed bullet as long as you keep to the starting powder load. I'd be obliged if anyone here who uses berry's bullets can offer some insight.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: berry's bullets

Post by mr surveyor »

and what caliber and what desired velocity?

The plated bullets are rated by the manufacturer (Berry's, X-Treme, etc) for a specific maximum velocity (for their particular bullet). As long as your load stays within their stated velocity range, and you don't unduly cut/damage the plating while loading/crimping, you should do fine. I've only loaded about 1k each of plated bullets in the 9mm and .45 acp semi-auto rounds, but still have had no issues while staying within the bullet manufacturers stated velocities.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
bluetick

Post by bluetick »

Berrys recommends staying below 1,250 fps. I want to substitute berrys 125 gr bullets for hornady hp/xtp bullets in .38 spl, using Universal powder at a starting load of 4.7 grains.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've used Berrys in 9mm, 380, 45 ACP, 45 Colt and 357 Sig. I used starting jacket loads for the bullet weight and worked up in tenth (0.1) grain increments to either best accuracy or the accuracy going to hell. When the plating starts giving up it'll let you know. I've also done the same with Rainer bullets but only in the 45 Colt. These are all taper crimped to not damage the plating. Lee's factory crimp die will also work.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

[quote="bluetick"]Berrys recommends staying below 1,250 fps. I want to substitute berrys 125 gr bullets for hornady hp/xtp bullets in .38 spl, using Universal powder at a starting load of 4.7 grains.[/quote

That should be in the 900fps range so it would seem to fall within the parameters of which you seek.....I've never used Berrys bullets but have shot a lot of RMR plated bullets in 9mm at close to 1300fps with no issues. IIRC RMR advertises their bullets as double plated and the core is 12 BHn which is a pretty hard lead.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

I have used Berry's in 9mm and .45 Auto. Yes, the lower end load data for weight in jacketed "should be ok". In my experience they are good if you keep the velocity lower, like you are supposed to. I have tried a few different things and prefer lead cast (either powder coated or Hi-Tech coated) bullets now to plated. The lead seems more accurate to me. As always, be careful and work up. As Ohio3Wheels stated, once they get screwy it is time to back off, they will get screwy if run too hard. Good luck. Be safe.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Use Berry's in 9mm and have kept mid jacketed loads. No problems.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I use them for 9mm (as well as cast). I don't know the velocity and my load is at least in the middle of jacketed but I run long OAL and a little extra Bullseye on the load I developed specifically for my P95. I've never shot hand loaded ammo in my Shield. I use cast or jacketed for .45 AUTO so far and ALL lead for .45 Colt, .38, and .357.

I'm not familiar with Universal and I don't load the .38 that far under-weight (80% of design) but it sounds fine. I would recommend the Lee crimp die regardless of bullet type.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
bluetick

Post by bluetick »

When using Universal, the maximum load is 5.2 grains.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”