9mm Mauser Load Data

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
AdmKeth
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

9mm Mauser Load Data

Post by AdmKeth »

I have been working up loads for my 9mm “Red 9” C96 Mauser. After lots and lots and lots of reading I _think_ I have something that is safe and will cycle the action. I have the Lee Loading Manual, the Lyman 50th,, and the Lee Precision 9mm Die Set instructions load data, but I’m having to extrapolate loads based on assorted forum posts, and manual data for similar bullets, as well as what I know about the powder I’m using.

I have loaded five rounds each of the following:
  • Starline 9mm brass
  • Sierra 9mm 115gr FMJ
  • Winchester Small Pistol Primers
  • Unique powder @ 4.6gr, 4.8gr, 5.0gr, 5.2gr, 5.4gr
  • COL: 1.153 (Well within the SAAMI Min 1.1/Max 1.169)
According to some data I have read Unique has a Min/Max of 4.5/5.5 grains (others have 5.8 as max), so it looks like the loads I have are in the safe zone; I welcome everyone to double-check my assumptions. Many posts I have read indicate that 5.3 grains may be the sweet spot. As I fire the lower loads and progress upwards to one where the bolt locks open after the last round, I think I will stop there and fire the remainder of the higher loaded rounds out of my Taurus PT-908.

I’m starting to become unhappy with Unique in terms of volume, as some of these loads are uncomfortably close to the backside of the bullet, both in the 9mm and the 7.63mm. If I don’t get the results for which I am hoping, then I may switch to a less cartridge-space-consuming ball powder, such as Alliant Power Pistol or Accurate #5. I welcome any thoughts or inputs.

I have tentatively scheduled toddling off to the range on 07Dec18 and I will update this thread, and the 7.63 Mauser thread, with the results.

I have taken photos of the Red 9 and posted them below...enjoy!

Red 9 with Wood Holster/Stock

Red 9 Hammer, Frame, and Backplate Serials

Red 9 Top with Bolt Serial
Note: That's not rust on the hammer, but reflection from the Red Oak cabinetry I just built from dimensioned lumber and installed...you can see parts of the cabinets in other photos I have posted.

Question: What is that mark on the bolt to the left of the serial?
</Edit 1>Answer: German Proof Mark
</Edit 2>Another link explaining the U and crown

Red 9 Muzzle Stamp and Serial

Red 9 "Neue Sicherung" Stamp and Hammer Serial
Last edited by AdmKeth on 27 Nov 2018 11:33, edited 2 times in total.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 9mm Mauser Load Data

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I don't think I'd be overly concerned with the near 100% loads. Some contend that that is the point of powder selection. I try but don't always achieve at least 80% when powder, bullet and cartridge allow and have on occasion shot some compressed loads, but don't go there unless I have data that indicates they are safe.

I shoot a bunch of the finer powders in a number of cases and sometimes it's scary how much empty space there is loading True Blue in the 45 Colt comes immediately to mind as I have a few of those waiting for decent weather for range testing.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I am not a fan of Unique. One of the main reasons I have not tried it much (if at all) in 9X19 is there is not enough room in the case for some combinations...and I am not the type to trim automatic pistol brass. 9X19 is a high pressure cartridge and I don't need a mistake due to COAL/brass variations.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I don't shoot or load a lot of 9mm rounds much anymore, but I ended up settling on the AA powders, #7 mostly and #5 some. The AA#7 just always seemed to consistently meet the need for me in the 9mm.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
AdmKeth
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AdmKeth »

mr surveyor wrote:I don't shoot or load a lot of 9mm rounds much anymore, but I ended up settling on the AA powders, #7 mostly and #5 some. The AA#7 just always seemed to consistently meet the need for me in the 9mm.

jd
Yeah, after doing more research AA#5 is kind of where I'm leaning. Darn, that will mean another trip to the shooting range ;)
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

AdmKeth wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:I don't shoot or load a lot of 9mm rounds much anymore, but I ended up settling on the AA powders, #7 mostly and #5 some. The AA#7 just always seemed to consistently meet the need for me in the 9mm.

jd
Yeah, after doing more research AA#5 is kind of where I'm leaning. Darn, that will mean another trip to the shooting range ;)

Wish I could find #5 up here. I used to use VV N340, W231 and Clays but going to try #7 as well as HS-06.
AdmKeth
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AdmKeth »

Range results and post-range activities for the 7.63mm C96 Mauser is in the other thread.

My range test fire results for the 9mm C96 Mauser were as follows:

5 rounds each using Unique powder @ 4.6/4.8/5.0/5.2/5.4 grains
Starline SU9MM brass
Sierra SRA8115 115gr RN FMJ bullet
Winchester small pistol primers
COL @ 1.153
10 yards to target
Calculated velocities:
4.6 @ 934
4.8 @ 967
5.0 @ 1000
5.2 @ 1034
5.4 @ 1067
All hits are nice 6" groups
Bolt locks open even on the lowest load

5 rounds each using AA#5 powder @ 5.8/5.9/6.0 grains
Starline SU9MM brass
Sierra SRA8115 115gr RN FMJ bullet
Winchester small pistol primers
COL @ 1.153
10 yards to target
Calculated velocities:
5.8 @ 1077
5.9 @ 1091
6.0 @ 1105
All hits are nice 6" groups - a couple outliers, but that's just my bad eyesight
Bolt locks open even on the lowest load.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”